Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Global advisory firm KPMG LLP found that Mercedes-Benz is the most trusted premium car manufacturer associated with autonomous driving technology. Mercedes was brought to first place by its S 500 Intelligent Drive concept, which was released at the Frankfurt Motor Show in August. That technology took a 104 km drive with no driver assistance.

Part of this technology is already available on the latest Mercedes-Benz S-Class and on the 2014 E-Class facelift range. Benz aims to offer a completely autonomous driving option on its car by the year 2020.

There is still public skepticism about autonomous driving technology that is fueled by movies like iRobot or Terminator where technology becomes self-aware, and the fact that a machine taking control over a person's driving is still seen as a bit taboo in most car markets.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good to know MB is in the lead for this tech, can't wait to see what their driverless cars will be like in the future. I think the runner up would be Audi. I know Google is onto something, not sure how they would rank though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
How safe do we feel giving control away? I know for some people being a passenger in a car scares them (and would rather be behind the wheel). Thoughts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
How safe do we feel giving control away? I know for some people being a passenger in a car scares them (and would rather be behind the wheel). Thoughts?
I shudder to think of the liability concerns raised by autonomous motoring. Who is to blame for a simple collision between two autonomous vehicles? How about a fatal collision? It seems that the technology is progressing faster than our legal understanding. The legal repercussions deserve a deep dialogue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I shudder to think of the liability concerns raised by autonomous motoring. Who is to blame for a simple collision between two autonomous vehicles? How about a fatal collision? It seems that the technology is progressing faster than our legal understanding. The legal repercussions deserve a deep dialogue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think when there's no driver present or the accidents were caused by both driverless systems in a car, it will be both parties insurance companies covering the cost.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw some renderings and sketches of autonomous car interiors. They have no steering wheel and the seats face each other instead of all facing forward. It would be an entirely different way to travel.

There are plenty of big ideas for the future of motoring. I wonder how much of the ideas will just remain as ideas and how many will come to fruition in a reasonable length of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts