Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I've ever considered buying a 4 cylinder MB. Gas prices are getting to me :D

I know from reading that the CLA250 has the same engine as some other MB cars (C250, A250, B250??)

How is the reliability of the drivetrain and electronics like? What are some things to look out for? ;)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It's all new stuff, and no.... the 2 litreM270 engine is not shared with the M271 1.8 litre that is in the C Class, so there will be no data on all this until the early adopters have been on the road for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The M271 is the 1.8 indirect injection unit in the C Class, designed only for longitudinal installation. The M270 is designed for transverse or longitudinal installation and direct injection. I think they're totally different.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
You could look at the A class and B class to tell reliability of the engine as well as some of the electronics. You would have to look at A class and B class forums to tell that though. I don't think I've heard of anyone complaining the A or B class to be unreliable though.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Don't bother. The new engine has exactly ZERO parts in common with the older A and B Classes.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I thought you were referring to the older B and A Classes.

The new A and B have only been sold for a few months, so there will be no really meaningful reliability data on these new drivetrains for 3 or 4 years.

But you are right, the A 250, B 250 and CLA 250 all have the exact same drivetrains.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since the release of the Mercedes A 45 AMG I guess we can get Ideas ofhow the CLA 45 AMG will be like.
You're right, we can judge the CLA45 AMG reliability off of the A45 AMG but its still too early to even get real world information about the A45 since it just came out.

What I am looking forward to are A45 AMG reviews! Great way to know what to expect from the CLA AMG :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
i know i doesnt really mean much but my m271 has been bullet proof. I have done preventive maintenance tho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Preventive maintenance just simply means following a strict maintenance schedule. Change all the fluids often. Oil and lube all moving parts. Perform 100,000 mile check ups every 50,000 miles. If you have the persistence and effort to do this the drivetain should be reliable over many years. For electronics you can't say the same. You just have to hope the electronics work years down the road. Don't abuse the electronics and make sure the wiring stays in good condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts