Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Mercedes-Benz's design chief Gordon Wagener, Mercedes is planning an estate version of the CLA saloon, creating a smaller version of the CLS Shooting Brake. ‘The CLA is a four-door coupe as well, so why not do it?” he said.

It most likely will be launched in 2014.

In addition, he declined rumors of a sportier A-Class model (soft-top or small coupe) by saying “we don’t need a sports car, the market is declining.”

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice! I hope an AMG version is the works.

·
Registered
945 Posts
According to Mercedes-Benz's design chief Gordon Wagener, Mercedes is planning an estate version of the CLA saloon, creating a smaller version of the CLS Shooting Brake. ‘The CLA is a four-door coupe as well, so why not do it?” he said.

It most likely will be launched in 2014.

In addition, he declined rumors of a sportier A-Class model (soft-top or small coupe) by saying “we don’t need a sports car, the market is declining.”

thats beautiful.

I hope mercedes benz does something a bit unique to the CLA shooting brake since they have a bigger car to work with unlike the CLA sedan.

would be awesome to see a long panoramic roof, since shooting brake's are always in limited production they might as well make the as cool as ever.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have no real final opinion on the look of it yet. Kind of throwing me off. But It's a tough nail to put in since this kind of wagon trend is more popular in Europe. In every way that this shoot brake CLA (Wagon) is functional I think most people would take time to get used to the shape of the wagon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it looks pretty good for a wagon. But I would take the four door sedan over this. However, the wagon does solve the lack of headroom in the sedan model.

·
Registered
945 Posts
For sure Europe only.
Sadly this will be the case. The CLS shooting brake never became available in the U.S. , only in Europe (to my knowledge). We can definitely expect the same thing once the CLA shooting brake becomes available.

Europe is hatch, wagon/shooting brake/estate nation after all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are shooting brake variants more expensive or cheaper than the coupe model?
That is a good question since we don't see to many of the wagon variants but If I had to take a guess considering the extra space capacity maybe it is possible that the wagon/shooting brake CLA might be more than the regular base. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
It is usually a bit more.

This car would not sell very well in North America though. I don't think any shooting brake models sell well.

Brief description of shooting brake from wikipedia

Shooting-brake, shooting brake or shooting break is a term for a car body style that has evolved through several distinct meanings over its history.
Shooting-brake originated as an early 19th century British term[1] for a vehicle used to carry shooting parties[2] with their equipment and game. The term brake[3] was initially a chassis used to break-in horses—and was subsequently used to describe a motorized vehicle.
The term was later applied to custom-built wagons by high-end coachbuilders, and properly refers to two door wagon style vehicles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So I guess in cliff notes its a luxury or high end wagon. Its a segment of its own and hard to attract any real buyers in North America. Europeans are all about the wagons wonder why that is such a trend over there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It is usually a bit more.

This car would not sell very well in North America though. I don't think any shooting brake models sell well.

Brief description of shooting brake from wikipedia

Shooting-brake, shooting brake or shooting break is a term for a car body style that has evolved through several distinct meanings over its history.
Shooting-brake originated as an early 19th century British term[1] for a vehicle used to carry shooting parties[2] with their equipment and game. The term brake[3] was initially a chassis used to break-in horses—and was subsequently used to describe a motorized vehicle.
The term was later applied to custom-built wagons by high-end coachbuilders, and properly refers to two door wagon style vehicles.
from what it seems there hasn't been any shooting brake models but sporty wagons like the BMW 3 series wagon, BMW 5 series wagon, etc along with M performance editions of them. They never sold well but that shouldn't stop Mercedes from bringing over a low production CLA wagon, it'd be good even just to be different without any profit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Although the wagon type for these luxury vehicles were never trendy or made its way up in the sales peak that doesn't mean it will never. I'd say just make a low number so they don't suffer from over production. I could see a trend for these shooting brake type to set a trend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts