Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More good news for Mercedes-Benz! ALG, a leading residual value forecaster for cars for the North American market, has named Mercedes-Benz the top luxury car brand in terms of residual value. Benz beat out second place Acura (which was last year's winner,) and third place Audi.

As far as the specific models go, the CLA won the top spot in the premium compact car segment. Boy, the CLA is sure doing nice things for Mercedes-Benz.

Does resale value affect your decision on which car to buy at all?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nope. I don't buy a car thinking of resale value (if I did I would not be looking at Germans would I?). I don't go through cars like changes of clothing, so I expect very little residual value when I sell anyways. And I am not willing to compromise my desire or comfort for years to get a few thousand dollars back way down the line. And if the car is worth enough to begin with to make that residual value difference large enough to matter, I would not think it intelligent to buy such an expensive car if you need to be concerned about residual value.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Does resale value affect your decision on which car to buy at all?
Nope. I'm one of those rare breeds who drive their cars to the ground and close to being junked before getting rid of it or donated. My Accord currently has over 243,000 miles on it and is still going. I sold my Toyota pickup with almost 300,000 miles on it. I also donated a Lexus ES that was almost 20 years old. So resale isn't a consideration.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Nope. I'm one of those rare breeds who drive their cars to the ground and close to being junked before getting rid of it or donated. My Accord currently has over 243,000 miles on it and is still going. I sold my Toyota pickup with almost 300,000 miles on it. I also donated a Lexus ES that was almost 20 years old. So resale isn't a consideration.
thats hard core, i don't know many people that do that. most people i know tend to get bored of their cars 4-5 years later. At least driving a car to the ground you save a lot of money, smartest thing to do depending on your situation

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
thats hard core, i don't know many people that do that. most people i know tend to get bored of their cars 4-5 years later. At least driving a car to the ground you save a lot of money, smartest thing to do depending on your situation
Again I'm a rare breed. I see it as a challenge to get as many miles out of my cars as I can without having to pay through the nose for constant repairs. I should also mention that my Accord has been problem free since I got it since new (with 5 miles on the odometer). Aside from usual consumables (brakes, tires, filters, spark plugs, wires, batteries) I didn't have to replace any parts. It has so much original parts it's is crazy (pumps, starter motor, radiator, alternator, compressor, etc.). My Toyota pickup was pretty much the same. I wouldn't drive it to the ground if something was breaking all the time. So if the CLA starts to give me problems a few years down the road (which I hope it won't) then I will get rid of it. I'm very religious with routine maintenance so if a car breaks down it won't be my fault.

Reactions: dionisio944

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWIW, on the leasing side of the equation, a luxury car that holds on to its value will ALWAYS score better on various lease calcuators. I've just ordered a loaded CLA 250 4Matic (Sports & Premium packages, Lighting package, blind spot assist, sun roof, metallic paint), and my leasing configuration received received an "Outstanding" rating using this leasing calculator:

Car Lease Deal Calculator - Evaluate any car lease payment

YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts