Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if Mercedes-Benz doesn't have enough new products and projects on its plate, the luxury brand has announced that it will be returning to its roots with a new in-line six-cylinder engine. This new engine architecture will also spawn three- and four- cylinder engines for the German automaker. Benz has a history with straight-six engines, but phased out the engine layout in the 1990s.

The straight-six engine layout will return in 2016 with the release of the next-generation E-Class. While few things are known about this new engine, you can expect it to displace around 3.0L and have at least one turbo charger.

The 2017 will be the second vehicle to get the new engine. It will receive the new engine as part of its mid-cycle refresh.

On top of the in-line six, Benz is also planning to release a three- and four- cylinder version of the engine family. Those engines will likely end up in some smaller models, like the CLA or the GLA crossover. No time frames have been talked about for these smaller engine though.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Good news for MB buyers. The "I" 6 is an inherently smooth engine. It doesn't need all sorts of engineering 'magic' to make it run vibration free. (Like the CLA "I" 4)

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
sweet. i6s are sweet.

not too sure about the 3 cylinder though.

4 cylinder will probably be for europe or asia.. unless its turbocharged like the CLA

i personally think inline6s sound better than v6s.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I love i6's, i had an inline 6 in a coupe older cars, not German but they were still amazing.
I find that inline 6's tend to sound better than V6's, really depends on who's making it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts