Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes-Benz has been working towards having a fully autonomous car on the market by the year 2020. Already, MB had created the S500 Intelligent Drive near-production concept car.

This car uses a 3d camera and short and long range radar to completely drive by itself. It completed a 104 km drive through Germany by itself in August.

The enhanced autonomous driving function found on the Intelligent Drive concept car will be available in ~3 years likely starting with the face lifted W222 S-Class.

You can see the self-driving tech in this video! It's pretty incredible.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm curious though, how many people would feel comfortable with that. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I bet for the first few months I would have a heart attack from the anxiety of having my hands millimeters from the wheel waiting to take over. It's kind of like how you can do entire airline flights via computer, but you'd never get on one without a pilot. And unlike an airline, I know the average driver around me has had no training and percentage-wise, a lot more likely to be drunk.

I would love it for boring long stretches of interstate though. All they need then is a driver's seat that can scoot back with a footrest like the rear passenger of the S-class!:p

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I can see it causing a couple heart attackss. As for myself when I am in someone else's vehicle I already have panic attacks because of close calls. It will take a while for poeple to get use to for sure. perfect for those long distances road trips though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts