Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership catalogue just revealed the bike rack for the Mercedes CLA. Being able to fit 3 bikes is a great design that will allow me to bring friends and family along to the trails. Buying a bike rack is a must for me. Though getting the OEM product will depend entirely on how much it costs.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Same with me which is why I asked about a receiver hitch. I would rather use my 1up USA rack as I paid a lot of money for it but if I can't get a hitch installed then I might have to go the OEM route.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The dealership catalogue just revealed the bike rack for the Mercedes CLA. Being able to fit 3 bikes is a great design that will allow me to bring friends and family along to the trails. Buying a bike rack is a must for me. Though getting the OEM product will depend entirely on how much it costs.

Getting a trailer hitch will be one of the best things for anyone wanting to haul around bikes or even a carrier. Good thing with a hitch we can attach a carrier or the bike rack to it. Downside is if you buy these from the Mercedes dealership it's going to cost you!

A good alternative to a trailer hitch and bike rack combo is the universal bike racks that strap onto the trunk and rest on the trunk and bumper. It's the cheaper option.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Mercedes is really pumping out their accessories trying to cut out the aftermarket suppliers from making any money. It's a really nice bike rack with integrated taillights and license plate but to me it just screams expensive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The construction of the bike rack looks very sturdy and I also notice there are even brake lights on there. This tells me that this product will not be cheap. I would probably go with a third party product since there is already a pretty good market out there for them. Check out Thule and Allen Sports. I don't think you can go wrong any way.

For first time buyers, the only thing I would advise against is buying a trunk carrier. I once made that mistake and I paid with scratch marks all over my car paint. I think the same goes for roof racks. Just spend the extra money and do it properly with a bike trailer hitch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The bike rack looks great. I really like the brake lights they put on it. Combined with the boat rack, the CLA makes a pretty decent vehicle for the adventure minded. I hope they aren't too expensive.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
The construction of the bike rack looks very sturdy and I also notice there are even brake lights on there. This tells me that this product will not be cheap. I would probably go with a third party product since there is already a pretty good market out there for them. Check out Thule and Allen Sports. I don't think you can go wrong any way.

For first time buyers, the only thing I would advise against is buying a trunk carrier. I once made that mistake and I paid with scratch marks all over my car paint. I think the same goes for roof racks. Just spend the extra money and do it properly with a bike trailer hitch.
Trunk carriers are definitely something to stay away from, although they are cheaper. Better off spending the extra money and get a trailer hitch and hitch mounted bike rack.

Scratches from trunk carriers can get bad enough that it leaves scratches so deep you'll have to get the trunk repainted.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Trunk carriers are definitely something to stay away from, although they are cheaper. Better off spending the extra money and get a trailer hitch and hitch mounted bike rack.

Scratches from trunk carriers can get bad enough that it leaves scratches so deep you'll have to get the trunk repainted.
Yes sir that is correct you wouldn't want to go through a hassle like that in oreder to just ride a bicycle. the trailer hitch sounds like a safe and sturdier bet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Any word on prices yet? Unless this is a new product, Mercedes must have already sold some bike racks for their other Mercedes models.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
The bike rack looks great. I really like the brake lights they put on it. Combined with the boat rack, the CLA makes a pretty decent vehicle for the adventure minded. I hope they aren't too expensive.
I like how they incorporated brake lights in to the bike rake too. So it doesn't take the functionality and safety out of having one. It does look durable probably will be one of the better ones compared to aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't own a bike but if I were to that would be the bike rack I would get for the CLA. However I am more interested in the roof box compartment. Since the space inside the CLA is limited That would help out a bit. I would use up most of the space inside the trunk anyways when traveling.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm thinking a roof rack would be best to use to carry anything. Bikes, boats, or bags. It's more multipurpose than a bike rack only. You can't carry a mattress on a bike rack.

I think it should be cheaper than the bike rack too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That is a good suggestion. I wouldn't mind a roof rack when we go on trips but I don't want it to always be on. It would be nice if you could remove it easily and snap it back on when you need it. How much do these roof racks usually go for?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm thinking a roof rack would be best to use to carry anything. Bikes, boats, or bags. It's more multipurpose than a bike rack only. You can't carry a mattress on a bike rack.

I think it should be cheaper than the bike rack too.
who in the right mind would even attempt to carry a mattress on a CLA. It would be ridiculous. Honestly just get it delivered for the extra couple bucks. But yes I like the roof rack idea much more than a bike rack. You could get box or enclosure compartments for it.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I would consider the bike rack as I'll need to roof rack for a root top box for long trips. If possible I would much rather get a receiver hitch installed and use my own hitch mounted bike carrier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts