Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed Mercedes really like to put number pads on their center console....WHY? The year is 2013....I understand 10 years ago but truth be told, rarely does anyone still use that unless dialing a number that isn't saved. We can safely assume that almost everybody goes through contacts to dial a number.

So am I missing something important?
I bring this point up because as a potential CLA owner, I see no point in that number pad being there. And frankly, I dont like the look for some reason.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
So I noticed Mercedes really like to put number pads on their center console....WHY? The year is 2013....I understand 10 years ago but truth be told, rarely does anyone still use that unless dialing a number that isn't saved. We can safely assume that almost everybody goes through contacts to dial a number.

I bring this point up because as a potential CLA owner, I see no point in that number pad being there. And frankly, I dont like the look for some reason.
If what you're saying is true then you don't need a number pad for your phone either. You can just "speak" to it. The number pads isn't only used for phones.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I use the number pad on my cars console for dtmf tones. You know please press 1 for English. Please press 2 for Spanish. Press 0 for an operator. They are more convenient than fumbling around with the cell phones dial pad if you are using Bluetooth for making a call. That's just my two cents tho.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I do prefer a dial pad compared to the lcd touchscreen. But I agree, the dial pad is outdated and that area can be used much more efficiently. An lcd with physical buttons would be ideal for me. And not too far off, apparently.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It's all about bluetooth. Press a button say "call home" for example. That's all you need. Who needs a dialpad these days.
That's great if you only limit your calls to numbers stored in your phone but I suspect most will expand their horizons a bit more. For example, if you need to call... say your bank or credit card compnay... and you have to press "1" for English or punch in your PIN. What are you going to do then?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I believe eventually they will integrate the touchpad into the touchscreen to clean up the center console.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's great if you only limit your calls to numbers stored in your phone but I suspect most will expand their horizons a bit more. For example, if you need to call... say your bank or credit card compnay... and you have to press "1" for English or punch in your PIN. What are you going to do then?
I would say 95% of my calls are to contacts.

For the other 5%, this is where Mercedes should offer a service much like Infiniti's personal Assistant

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I would say 95% of my calls are to contacts.

For the other 5%, this is where Mercedes should offer a service much like Infiniti's personal Assistant
You can't ask Mercedes to be like a competing brand. No car maker can satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. There are obviously enough people out there who appreciate having the number pad on the dash for MB to keep having them. But even if 99% of your calls are from your contacts, what will you do if during that 1% you need to call your bank or your credit card company and need to input your PIN?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Problem solved.
But is it really a problem? Only a handful seem to think so.

You can ask 100 people to design what they think a car should be like and you'll get 100 different variations. MB is just doing what they think they need to do to appeal to as much of their target buyers as they can. I trust they have a pretty decent marketing department that has all that covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You can ask 100 people to design what they think a car should be like and you'll get 100 different variations. MB is just doing what they think they need to do to appeal to as much of their target buyers as they can. I trust they have a pretty decent marketing department that has all that covered.
Well if you ask 100 people, I'm sure almost all of them would say they would not need the number pad or other brands would have integrated them into their cars. Even higher end models on other brands don't have the number pad: for an example like the Volkswagen Touareg. I rarelyyyyy call my bank or credit card company. And that one time I do, I would use my phone number pad or be at home/starbucks making this call to the credit card company which is important so its better for me to think rather than discussing my financial matters while driving. Mercedes has been doing this number pad for a long time now. If this number pad is something most people really desired, it would have been put on several other brands on their higher end models but they aren't.

This is why I question why Mercedes still has this outdated number pad on their center console. Personally, I don't like the look and I'm sure by the way majority of the brands don't have it, most people don't like it as well. But yes it would be a clean setup and would serve a nice functionality once in a while if it was integrated in a LCD just like smartphones.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can't ask Mercedes to be like a competing brand. No car maker can satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. There are obviously enough people out there who appreciate having the number pad on the dash for MB to keep having them. But even if 99% of your calls are from your contacts, what will you do if during that 1% you need to call your bank or your credit card company and need to input your PIN?
I don't see why not. Automakers are influenced by each other. If a service offered by one company is useful to consumers. It would smart for business to adopt that service for their own customers.

Also, I'm pretty sure Mercedes wants to satisfy as many of its customers as possible. If a majority of people don't like the keypad than axe it or offer it as an option for those who do want it. Don't make mandatory.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Who knows, maybe some day they will get rid of the number pad. But for now I guess they're keeping it. I'm just saying I personally don't have a problem with it. Hey, the car isn't perfect and I don't think there's a single car out there that is.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts

regardless if it is a problem or not by moving it to the navigation screen you please both sides of the spectrum. You still get a number pad for those who need one and you please those who don't use it by not having a physical one that takes up space that isn't being used.

seems like a pretty good idea to me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who knows, maybe some day they will get rid of the number pad. But for now I guess they're keeping it. I'm just saying I personally don't have a problem with it. Hey, the car isn't perfect and I don't think there's a single car out there that is.
Eh, my curiosity just sparked the question. But don't get me wrong, the number pad won't be a deal breaker haha. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts