Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Eco Stop/start is integrated into the drivetrain of the new Mercedes CLA to help conserve fuel and economy but will this feature be more of a help or annoyance? What do you guys think of this feature, yay or nay?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Good idea, especially at the drive-thrus that North Americans seem to love (and I hate).

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Not something I am use to but I welcome the addition.

I was wondering.. Can these things usually be disabled?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Yup, it only operates when the car's gearbox is in ECO mode.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, it only operates when the car's gearbox is in ECO mode.
Im glad they made that Eco mode with a switch, I can imagine some drivers will be annoyed of the constant stop and start . Thanks for pointing this out,

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Thank god this feature has no way of becoming an annoyance but rather something that comes down to our decision of using it or not. There's no way they could have made this a standard function with no switch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
for many years all my toyota prii( plural for prius) have had this feature. once you get used to the fact that the engine WILL restart its very cool. does not work quite the same since the prius does not have a starter motor and powers up at about 800 plus rpm but still a great feature. ( at least for me)

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
About 2 years ago I went to Germany and rented a car that has the stop/start feature. I didn't know it at first but realized it after a day of driving around Koblenz. The car had a 5-speed manual transmission and once the engine reaches optimal operating temperature, that's when the stop/start feature comes on. When I come to a stop the engine shuts off. As soon as I engage the clutch the engine starts right up. There was practically no delay. It is so seemless that it I don't even notice the car is doing that when the radio is on. I can hear the engine start up only if I didn't have the radio on. But with an automatic transmission I don't know when the engine starts after a stop. Maybe as soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal?

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a useful feature if you really want to nickel and dime your fuel but people have mention this kind of feature to be quite annoying.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
What I was trying to say is that since I've used it, I didn't find it annoying at all. In fact I didn't even notice I was driving a car that had it until I noticed the tachometer went to zero when I stopped and the engine turned on when I pressed the clutch. There was no delay. I'm going to Germany again in less than a month and I'll be renting a car again. This time I will look and see if the car I get has the same feature. I think this must be pretty common in Europe because over ten years ago when I went to Switzerland for the first time I noticed drivers shut their cars off at red lights and railroad crossings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What I was trying to say is that since I've used it, I didn't find it annoying at all. In fact I didn't even notice I was driving a car that had it until I noticed the tachometer went to zero when I stopped and the engine turned on when I pressed the clutch. There was no delay. I'm going to Germany again in less than a month and I'll be renting a car again. This time I will look and see if the car I get has the same feature. I think this must be pretty common in Europe because over ten years ago when I went to Switzerland for the first time I noticed drivers shut their cars off at red lights and railroad crossings.
It is very common in Europe, only now is it starting to make its way over to NA. Whats interesting though is that there actually is not alot of fuel saving going on from stop start tech. Hyundai has come out and said they are abandoning stop start tech becasue they are having trouble showing a 1 mpg efficiency gain.

What sort of stress does stop start place on the starter motor? I know replacing one of those on a CLA will NOT be cheap...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
What sort of stress does stop start place on the starter motor? I know replacing one of those on a CLA will NOT be cheap...
When the engine is at operating temperature it doesn't take much to start the engine.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Which models have stop/start? Its not standard correct?
Stop/Start is standard on the CLA250 and the CLA45 AMG but can be turned off.... apparently.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Cars with this feature use a starter/generator like a Civic Hybrid. When I drove the B 250 a few times, it's obvious - the car bumps back into action rather than having a bendix-operated starter motor sound..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts