Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the first appearance of the Mercedes CLA during the Superbowl commercial, many consumers were given high hopes that they could possibly snatch this car at such a low advertised priced. They listed the CLA to be starting at $29,000. But that is obviously the based model, If you are familiar with how Mercedes works is if you want options your gonna have to purchase them all in packages. Features and accessories can get really expensive.

The current Mercedes C250 starts at around $36,000 and is said that the CLA needs to be $5000 less than that to make a huge hit in the gen Xer crowd meaning 30-40s.

To possibly avoid such high cost can leasing the CLA do the trick to get you in to a entry level sedan?

·
Registered
238 Posts
For such a vehicle with so many promises I would keep a close eye at. And what i mean by that is to not exactly own to keep but just for period of time. This is where leasing comes in for the CLA. Since its gonna be its first year I would play smart and just lease the first generation and if anything wait till the second generation if any bugs or problems appear first. That way these issues get solved and repackaged for the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When it comes to leasing or buying a new Mercedes CLA this is a tough call. I hate leasing vehicles and im certainly not an expert on it.

You bring up a good point though.... The CLA has a great starting price, but this is without options. So far everything I have seen is an option. The CLA looks like it comes very bear bones.

If you are comparing the C250 to the CLA.... I would probably pick the C250.

What are the options on a bear bones C250 compared to the CLA? Because if I have to pump in leather and a good sound system into the CLA that will be damn near the starting cost of the C250 anyway... and personally I think the C class is a better looking car.

my two cents.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The first thing consumers look at is reliability. I know there is a big hype going on since the price is really affordable. But my question and other consumers is just how reliable the CLA engine really? This car is just making it's debut theres no real history we can look back on. Yes, the A class pretty much is a cookie cutter version of it in Europe, but its still too early to tell. That is why i concluded with just leasing the CLA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are the CLA engines all Brand new? Mercedes has so many engine options I would be surprised if it was a whole new engine program for the CLA.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Leasing is the way to go. I don't like owning cars unless it is an older car that I have for sentimental and collecting purpose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the question should be who isn't leasing? While the the new CLA looks great, I haven't heard the best things regarding German reliability when the kilometers stack up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Leasing cause I will never ever buy a brand new car that has no history and be stuck with w/e issues it has, loosing money in the process. At least when I lease it I have more leverage.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow so far no one has voted or spoke about purchasing the CLA to own. I'm gonna have to say leasing is the better option at the moment. With such a new car its hard to tell how reliable the CLA will be. And German reliability is still questionable. Maintenance cost is killer. I would rather lease it first and wait till the next one if i really like it to buy one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What are you guys talking about?! there is absolutely nothing wrong with engineering. Till this day I have been driving my 1993 300 E without any problems. This thing has over 200 miles and it's till running fine with proper maintenance of course. there has been no issues what so ever. I don't know what you guys are ranting about. Driving my 300 E really gave me confidence and reliability but now I need something more up to date as I got my money's worth already from the 300 E. If anything Japanese engineering is starting to give out, just look at Toyota with the unexpected accelerations and all.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
When it comes to leasing or buying a new Mercedes CLA this is a tough call. I hate leasing vehicles and im certainly not an expert on it.

You bring up a good point though.... The CLA has a great starting price, but this is without options. So far everything I have seen is an option. The CLA looks like it comes very bear bones.

If you are comparing the C250 to the CLA.... I would probably pick the C250.

What are the options on a bear bones C250 compared to the CLA? Because if I have to pump in leather and a good sound system into the CLA that will be damn near the starting cost of the C250 anyway... and personally I think the C class is a better looking car.

my two cents.
really? I personally find the C250 to be a little bit outdated - especially the interior.

Ok here we go. I just priced out a C250 sport on MBUSA>

C250 Sport
-Lighting Package (Bi-Xenon)
-Panorama Roof
-Leather Seats
-Premium Standard (this is standard I cant remove it)
-Multimedia (Navi)
-Parktronic

Total price of the C250 Sport is $46,645

I am going to borrow this calculation from member epoyn in another thread on his priced out CLA 250

Looking at the CLA ordering guide it looks like I want:

18" rims
Bi-Xenon Headlights ~ $850
Sport Package Styling
Panorama Sunroof ~ $1480

The sport package is $2,000
Premium 1 Package is $2,200
I am most interested in the XM Radio, Heated Seats, and dual climate from this package.

Multimedia Package is a must ~
I love tech features.
$2,300

I am amazed leather seats is no included in one of the packages :mad: Common its a Benz! After all the options it will be close to $40k with no leather seats!~ :eek:

Leather seats are $1,200 and metallic paint is $720

$29,900 + $850 + $1480 + $2000 + $2200 + $2300 + $1,200 + $720

Comes up to $40,650 USD!
That is a $6000 difference. If you add 4Matic to the CLA it makes it around $44,000. Still $2000 cheaper.

So for $2000 cheaper you get an updated interior and the CLA styling if you'd like.

C250 Interior

CLA Interior

They are both great cars. Pick what suits you. Personally I like the 4Matic in the CLA and I think there will be great aftermarket support in the near future to get some more power out of that 2.0L turbo in the CLA. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
What are you guys talking about?! there is absolutely nothing wrong with engineering. Till this day I have been driving my 1993 300 E without any problems. This thing has over 200 miles and it's till running fine with proper maintenance of course. there has been no issues what so ever. I don't know what you guys are ranting about. Driving my 300 E really gave me confidence and reliability but now I need something more up to date as I got my money's worth already from the 300 E. If anything Japanese engineering is starting to give out, just look at Toyota with the unexpected accelerations and all.
Glad to hear that you are not having any problems with your car. But the reliability of German engines has always been an issue and talking point among car owners/enthusiasts. Not to mention expensive to maintain and fix when things do break.

Here's an article talking about this very thing.

This will also explain why you see more older generation Hondas and Toyotos on the road than older BMWs.

To be fair, it looks like Mercedes ranks up pretty high. So I learned something new as well.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surprisingly from reading articles on mercedes common issues in the past they dont seemed to be that bad. If your really comparing it to any japanese vehicle including toyota or hondas its really not that bad. Sometimes the word of mouth travels around making it seem worse than it really is.

You can read this article too and get an idea

Are German Cars Reliable? The Myth of “German Engineering” | AutoGuide.com News

·
Registered
257 Posts
Looks like the majority is playing it safe and going with a lease on the CLA. I don't think theres a real good amount of confidence at the moment but after this first generation is done it will definitely speak for itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Leasing is especially attractive in CA as you pay tax on only the portion of the lease payment versus the whole car. And with the initial 'not so certain' build quality of the CLA (vs. other Mercedes) it may make sense in the long term.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am one of those gen X people under 30 that are looking to lease this vehicle, for branded vehicles especially unless your pass the mid-class income, your not going to be able to buyout. Since MB is going for the younger generation I can see a lot of people leasing than buying. At least in Canada, leasing is better than financing for initial cost too. The only thing I do hate is the limited mileage.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are financing I would look in to getting the extended warranty.

You will thank yourself 5-10 years later.
The best suggestion someone can give you. Especially with a vehicle like the CLA. These are some of the risk you have to take when purchasing but just for insurance and a piece of mind if anything does go wrong. If not your going to be a dollar sign walking in to the dealership.

I am one of those gen X people under 30 that are looking to lease this vehicle, for branded vehicles especially unless your pass the mid-class income, your not going to be able to buyout. Since MB is going for the younger generation I can see a lot of people leasing than buying. At least in Canada, leasing is better than financing for initial cost too. The only thing I do hate is the limited mileage.
Leasing will be the more popular option at the moment for the CLA. The CLA will be all over the road in the next couple years. Affordable luxury had never be so accessible. i don't think it is just going to be the younger generation but the older ones *** well to have a a chance to own a mercedes at this price. Remember now "status" is one thing people buy Mercedes too right.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts