Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the market for a new car later in the year and almost pulled the trigger on the BMW 320i coming later this spring until I started seeing previews of this CLA coming to the market in Sep.

Some questions if anyone here has someone insider info.

a) I am interested in manual transmission cars, though would not avoid automatics entirely given the realities of finding a manual car on any dealer lot within 200 miles of me. Does anyone know what Mercedes thoughts are about the CLA and a manual transmission? My google searches are turning of junk and mis information.

b) A concern about the CLA is this front wheel drive situation and that a turbo engine with front wheel drive equals torque steer on poorly refined cars. Does anyone here have experience with current front wheel drive Mercedes that can speak to their experience with torque steer? Torque steer is an evil that robs performance, handling, and fuel economy.

c) In addition to considering the CLA, 320i, I was also looking at the Buick Verano turbo. I do not care about badges or perceptions, I really care about actual car capability, functionality, and utility for real world driving. If anyone else on here is in a similar car buying mode like me, what intrigues you to the CLA over the Verano or 320i?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
a) the CLA 250 does not come with a manual, even in Europe. The paddle shifters are quite OK. Ive driven two B 250s now and they're the same as the CLA mechanically.

b) torque steer does nothing to harm fuel economy! The two B 250 cars I've driven seemed remarkably exempt from torque steer.

c) I will probably buy a B 250 in a few years; the CLA is apparently too cramped in the rear (to be confirmed in person). Buicks and BMWs don't interest me.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think Mike covered most of the questions well.

I wanted to give my input on the Verano as I test drove one this year - very unrefined car.

Steering and brakes are not responsive. Car doesn't handle that well in my opinion. Steering is probably the biggest let down. And if you want the get a manual verano? I've heard bad things about the manual transmission. I'd actually get an ILX over a Verano.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The ILX and Verano are the closest competitor to the the CLA in terms of price and segment. The ILX is the better performance car though many would argue it's just a more luxurious Civic. The Verano doesn't have very good handling, but has some very nice features. But I personally don't think either will be able to stand to Mercedes quality. If you have ever sat in Mercedes and an Acura, it doesn't even compare.

You do have a decision to make between the BMW 3 Series and CLA. This is also a comparison I am waiting to see once the CLA comes out. Obviously you will be paying more for the BMW.

The upcoming BMW 2Series is another car to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. That helps. I've good and bad about the Verano. Issue being a sloppy manual. Need is for me to test drive to know how how it fits for me, but there are no manuals anywhere near me so we'll see what happens there.

The 320i is a fine car I'm sure, but from photos photos I've seen, I like the CLA front better. So all things being equal, that is plus points for CLA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts