Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes CLA Sport Suspension vs Comfort Suspension

The CLA 180/200/250 config shows that there are two suspension options for the car if you select the "Urban" trim. It could be called something else in North America.

What do you think is the difference?

A comfort suspension with longer suspension travel and what I assume to be softer spring and damper rates.

There is also a sport tuned suspension with what I assume to be a lower ride height, stiffer spring and damper rates.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have a deposit down to get one of the first CLA45AMGs at my local dealer. However, the deal breaker for me will be how harsh the ride is. I sold an M-3 within a year of getting it because my wife said it made her sick. (After a year, I admitted that it was too much for a daily driver.) I have tried two AMG models since, and rejected them. I am not a candya$$; I have 20 years of racing cars behind me, and I want a firm, responsive car, but not the harshness of a "wanna be" race car.

My present ride is a BMW 335 with sport suspension and a Dinan tune that gives 400 hp, and 400 ft/lbs. Believe me; it will twist your neck, but I'm allergic to the 'new car itch', so I'm here.

On a slow day this week, I tried out the new Caddy ATS. It is not the looker that the baby Merc is, and the 321 hp doesn't push it hard enough, but the suspension is magical. It has instantaneous, magnetic shocks that give, essentially, the best of both worlds. It is a worthy car, but the CUE (iPad touchscreen) is (I can't think of the right words to describe it without getting banned).

I'm still hopeful that Merc can come up with a 21st century ride control for this car.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
It is difficult to develop dampers that can both offer luxurious levels of ride comfort and high performance characteristics of having less roll, good compression and rebound, etc

Most sport suspension have firm rides in order to give them less body roll. Luxury cars have very soft rides but have mass loads of roll through turns.

The magnetic ride control in the ATS is awesome tech.

Mercedes should definitely look into active adaptive suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts