Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mercedes front-wheel drive lineup set to grow - report

Range could be expanded when the next-generation is introduced in 2018

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche has revealed the company's front-wheel drive lineup will likely grow when the next-generation of models is introduced in 2018.

Speaking to Automotive News, Zetsche said "We are considering the final portfolio of the next generation of our compact cars." He added, "We have to define it and we may expand the portfolio."

The executive declined to go into specifics but Mercedes has previously announced plans to build five models on the current MFA platform. These vehicles include the A-, B-, CLA - and GLA-Class. The fifth model remains a mystery but Zetsche said it will be introduced next year and won't be sold in the United States.

There's no word on what additions could be made, but previous reports have indicated there could be an A-Class Convertible, a seven-seat B-Class or possibly an entry-level roadster.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think by 2020 we'll see a few FWD Hybrids and even EV's from Mercedes. Clearly their vision with this FWD movement is for greener more mainstream vehicles. So consider that these FWD platforms will already be PERFECT for an EV or Hybrid power plant...there's no reason for them to not do this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can see where their focus is going now. The future for front wheel drives are growing. And Mercedes won't be the only ones using the MFA platform. Infiniti is using it and creating vehicle to compete in the same category as well.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
The Q30 from infiniti is in the works Im not sure on the way it looks but it will be an interesting segment as go in to 2020.

The market will be saturated with the compacts in the future with the population growing, these kinds of cars will be made more affordable regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the only manufacturer that will be reluctant to join the bandwagon of front wheel drives is BMW. I can't see them coming out with a FR compact.
I would think the same but if the market does well for these types they will be in for the dive, trust me. It would be stupid not to join in on the craze. I never knew there would be this much hype but just look at it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is the future whether you like it or not. Everything is getting smaller and there is a reason behind it all. Have you looked in to the population growth lately? It only make sense to make everything fit. A good example is to take a look at most vehicles in your city. They are all compacts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Big cities always attracted people who were looking for a better life. Especially from poor countries. But it looks that the UK is not welcoming the emigrants as they used to. That may the reason for the moderate growth of the population in London. It looks to me that other European cities are growing faster. But I may be wrong, of course. Who knows which city in Europe is growing the fastest?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts