Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am somehow not surprised by this. Despite the Europeans trying to get North Americans into diesel vehicles, it really isn't going to happen. At least not in large numbers. I just don't wee why they would offer a diesel CLA when there really isn't much demand for it. I don't think that it would profit Mercedes much at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Diesel purchases have been on the rise in the US though, even if they are still nothing compared to petrol powered cars.

The reason that Mercedes gave for the decision was the price of making the diesel engine meet regulatory standards in the US. The extra expense of that would mean that the CLA would need to have its price go up, and the price is more important than a diesel engine for the CLA.

If you want an affordable Benz then you can't have a diesel! Diesel CLAs would apparently cease to be cheap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really don't see diesel catching on in the US. In order for it to catch on the price of petrol would have to rise considerably, and government subsidies make sure that won't happen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Diesel is becoming more popular in the US. I'm not sure that it will ever catch on like it has in Europe. Ultimately it will come down to market pressures. People will want to save money.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Hopefully MB will bring it here to the US soon.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I waited three years for a B 200 CDI in Canada then threw in the towel and bought a gas version. So yeah, if you want a sensibly-sized diesel M-B sedan, wait for the C 250 CDI, coming next year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Renault builds the Diesel for MB and Mercedes claimed the urea injection system would be too costly to certify in North America. Which means that $29,999 price would not have been so. Looks like some real costs cutting had to go down to get in below the hard deck...

From TTAC:
In Europe, you can get a diesel CLA in either 136-horse or 170-horse tune, with a six-speed manual or seven-speed DCT respectively, but no variant of that powertrain will be available in North America. The engine, incidentally, is sourced from Renault.

Let’s pause for a minute to consider the notion that Mercedes-Benz isn’t willing to make their own four-cylinder entry-level diesels. Alright, that’s over. Why won’t the Renault four-banger come to the United States? Apparently the answer is the urea injection system that would be mandatory on these shores; it would simply cost too much to fit. Once upon a time, Mercedes-Benz would have built their own engine, made it comply with our regulations, and charged whatever they felt was fair — but that strategy no longer works in this market and it certainly wouldn’t work with a car that’s currently being advertised with “$29,999″ all over it. Still, the idea that this car is priced and sliced so thin that there isn’t the margin to fit a French diesel is enough to give those of us who have owned the old Benzes pause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts