Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mercedes plans to retake the top spot in the luxury segment after losing it in 2005 to BMW and falling to third in 2011 to Audi. The CLA is their plan, by appealing more to mainstream buyers with a starting price of $29,900.

Do you think Mercedes will be able to take the lead?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think it'll make a difference. I've always like Mercedes more. Even though the new BMW and Audi interiors are very nice. I still prefer the AMG interior. It feels higher quality and better built.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Compared with the BMW 3 Series that sells for $32,500 and Audi A4 with $32,500 the difference doesn't sound too big. But then when you look at the CLA's 211 horsepower compared to the bimmer's 180 hp and Audi's 211hp. You see how much more bang for your buck you get with the Mercedes. When consumers do their cross research and see the difference, they will flock to Mercedes. They have a very good chance of becoming number one.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
CLA's 211 horsepower
I thought the CLA 250 will have 208 hp. Has it changed? Either way it is still pretty impressive. The A4 with manual transmission is a close second along with the TL SH-AWD with 6-speed manual in 3rd.

·
Registered
945 Posts
One thing for sure is that Mercedes CLA sales will skyrocket the whole brands sales numbers, and place Mercedes high up on yearly brand sales stats, which in the end will make Mercedes look better than they currently are.

When it comes to the segment the CLA is in, it might be tough for them, Audi and BMW are responding with the Audi A3, Audi S3, BMW 2series coupe, BMW 2series sedan, BMW 2series cabriolet and possibly more variations.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think Mercedes is taking a step down to the more mainstream level of cars and reaching out to the consumers for a good volume of sales. this new segment has been talked about for a while now and I could see it being a bit hit and "bang for its buck" luxury getting out to people.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't like Audi too much, I would put them at the bottom of list for the Germans. Their interiors resemble Volkwagen too much and doesn't seem to be worth the price. And the exterior looks demented compared to the BMW 2 series and Mercedes CLA.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't like Audi too much, I would put them at the bottom of list for the Germans. Their interiors resemble Volkwagen too much and doesn't seem to be worth the price. And the exterior looks demented compared to the BMW 2 series and Mercedes CLA.
Audi's interior designs aren't all that bad, I think they are nice, can be improved. But their cars look great from the outside and perform very well too. The new Audi A3 sedan that competes directly with the CLA looks very nice.

Which Audi's do you not like? Want to show some examples?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think Mercedes is taking a step down to the more mainstream level of cars and reaching out to the consumers for a good volume of sales. this new segment has been talked about for a while now and I could see it being a bit hit and "bang for its buck" luxury getting out to people.
I wouldn't say step down. Makes it sound like they are lowering the bar. But the appeal of CLA is offering luxury and performance to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford 40-50k luxury cars. Smart strategy from Mercedes IMO.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Audis are plain, no style at all and their grilles are awful. The fairy light DRL is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't say step down. Makes it sound like they are lowering the bar. But the appeal of CLA is offering luxury and performance to people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford 40-50k luxury cars. Smart strategy from Mercedes IMO.
Agreed. As much as I loved MBs I never thought that I'd be able to afford one.....especially one as stylish as the CLA. My only issue is that even though the price starts at under $30K; the CLA that I want with all the options price out at $37K-$38K. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought the CLA 250 will have 208 hp. Has it changed? Either way it is still pretty impressive. The A4 with manual transmission is a close second along with the TL SH-AWD with 6-speed manual in 3rd.
You're right. I got 211 from a news article. The Mercedes website has it at 208 horsepower. Apologies.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
211 DIN, 208 SAE net.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Agreed. As much as I loved MBs I never thought that I'd be able to afford one.....especially one as stylish as the CLA. My only issue is that even though the price starts at under $30K; the CLA that I want with all the options price out at $37K-$38K. :(
Still not a bad deal.

$37k-$38k doesn't get you much out there. At least nothing like the CLA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just think about it for that 37-38k your getting a premium entry level sedan with options. i can't think think of anything else in that price range especially within the euro market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe MB will reclaim some buyers. I was never interested in owning a MB over BMW or Audi. Now, I plan on buying a CLA in 2014.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the CLA will not just reclaim buyers but rather will introduce new customers to the brand. People who could only afford Acura's or VWs will be coming over due to the CLA's affordability.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think the CLA will not just reclaim buyers but rather will introduce new customers to the brand. People who could only afford Acura's or VWs will be coming over due to the CLA's affordability.
this.

It makes Mercedes affordable for many others. Even though the C class is not that far off in terms of price. The C Class is not was hyped or lusted after as the CLA. I think this is due in part to the design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts