Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Motor Trend First Drive: 2014 Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG

14K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  AMG4Matic 
#1 ·
2014 Mercedes Benz CLA45 AMG First Drive - Motor Trend

I almost feel bad for any manufacturer that has a turbocharged four-cylinder-powered small car scheduled to be released within the next few years. Not only is the new 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG breaking new ground in small performance sedans, it will likely be the benchmark for the next generation. I say "almost" because with a base price of $48,350 and an expected transaction price closer to $55,000, other manufacturers might not see AMG's latest and greatest as direct competition.

See less See more
#2 ·
The AMG genes really come out on the track. The little sedan's limits are easily approachable, even with the stability control completely defeated. If you aren't that confident about your own skills, AMG supplies a Sport mode that allows the car to slide around a bit before it pulls things back in with the brakes. Steering feel is some of the best I've experienced in a front/all-wheel-drive car, assistance is beautifully tuned, and turn-in is quick and linear. On-center resistance feels sure and positive—there is resistance immediately off center, and then it builds in the first few degrees. As you turn in a bit more, the resistance falls off some and the car starts to feel like it really wants to turn. At neutral throttle or with slight trail braking, the car rotates into corners around the center of the car. Turning in with the too much brake gives a decent amount of understeer. At the apex, the car keeps rotating until you pick up the throttle. If you are right at the limit, all four wheels drift out to the curb or, in off-camber or downhill turns, a little drift brings a stupid grin to your face.
quote about the driving dynamics on the track.

#11 · (Edited)
Are you over 40? I think a seasoned salesman will tend to give a lot of leniency and trust to males in their 40's and 50's.

I know I've been sorta "profiled" before for being a young Black guy looking to buy a luxury car. It's funny how quickly they change their tune once you start talking intelligently about what you're looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.