Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to get the multimedia package for their CLA? Is it worth the $2,300?

I understand you get a high resolution LCD screen and a rear view camera, but what do the other features give you exactly?

Personally, as long as it has bluetooth connectivity for my phone and can play mp3s, I feel the standard package should be good enough for me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't don't think it's worth it, so I don't plan to get it. Why would I need a six disc DVD changer in this day and age? I feel a smartphone can do most of these things. Just buy a cell mount for your CLA.

Here is a breakdown of the features you get with the multimedia package

320pkg - Multimedia Package
CLA250/CLA250 4Matic/CLA45 AMG: $2,300

512 - COMAND System w/ Hard Drive Navigation
218 - Rearview Camera
- 7.0" High Resolution LCD Screen w/ 3D Map Views
- Enhanced Voice Control System
- 10GB Music Register
- 6-Disc DVD Changer
- Gracenote album information including cover art
- SD Card Slot
- SiriusXM Traffic and Sirius XM Weather

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does SiriusXM Traffic and Weather include radio? That is, can I listen to Howard Stern? I assume that the multimedia package will include the subscription too. I don't want to buy subscription costs on top of the $2,300.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in the same boat with whether I want to multimedia package as well. If anything I plan to just get the Drive Kit Plus which is an option for the CLA. It's built specifically for the iphone and integrates the CLA functions into the phone. Here's their website

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's a breakdown of the Driving kit plus and Digital Drivestyle

Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone® [1]

With the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®", your iPhone® 4/4S is comprehensively integrated
in the A-Class. It is integrated through the interaction of the
Mercedes-Benz app called "Digital DriveStyle" with the "Drive Kit Plus for the iPhone®" interface in the vehicle, where the iPhone® is connected and charged.
The "Digital DriveStyle" app is available free of charge at the iTunes® App Store [2]. In the app, extensive functions are seamlessly integrated in the new revolutionary user interface and shown on the vehicle display [3] . With the iPhone® connected, the "Digital DriveStyle" app is reliably and conveniently controlled via the ergonomically designed Controller.

Some of the functions of the "Digital DriveStyle" app:

Advanced navigation solution from Garmin® with web-based real-time traffic information, Points of Interest search and 3D map presentation.
Local search function powered by Google™ of Points of Interest with StreetView™ and destination transfer to Navigation.
AUPEO!™ Personal Radio with individual music programming.
Internet radio with national and international stations.
Access to the track titles stored in your iPhone®.
Facebook® Feeds and Twitter® Tweets from friends are read out aloud[4].
Socially interactive experience through sharing and posting, e.g. the title of the song currently playing or of the navigation destination on Facebook® and Twitter®.
Glympse™: Communicate to your friends - in real-time - your current location, your vehicle speed and estimated time of arrival.
Intuitive CarFinder with automatic storing of vehicle location on iPhone®. By means of the integrated pedestrian navigation function in the iPhone® it is possible to find one's vehicle conveniently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in the same boat with whether I want to multimedia package as well. If anything I plan to just get the Drive Kit Plus which is an option for the CLA. It's built specifically for the iphone and integrates the CLA functions into the phone. Here's their website

I wonder whats the hold up with pricing on CLA illuminated door sills, seems like such an easy thing to develop and price, easier than most of what the CLA has.

How much do you guys thing illuminated door sills will cost us?

Also what is the CLA Drive kit plus suppose to be? I'm confused as to what exactly it is, unlike the rest, the name is far from being self explanatory

·
Registered
257 Posts
The drive kit plus sounds promising from mercedes but the only problem is that not everyone owns an iphone. And its not amazing where i should get one just to have these features. I think they should make q version that is android capatible too to reach out to everyone rather than just apple supporters. Mercedes should recognize that as a auto manufacturer and cater to everyone globally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The drive kit plus sounds promising from mercedes but the only problem is that not everyone owns an iphone. And its not amazing where i should get one just to have these features. I think they should make q version that is android capatible too to reach out to everyone rather than just apple supporters. Mercedes should recognize that as a auto manufacturer and cater to everyone globally.
So the mercedes drive kit plus is some sort of technology package?

shouldn't we be able to use other types of phones, like Androids with just using a cable that supports it, or is it going to be something more complicated like software to read the device, which is just limited to Apple's OS?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think the Multimedia package is a better bargain than the premium package.

Is that $600 navbox the standalone option for navigation?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm just hoping that the Drive Kit app can also be used on an ipad mini.

An ipad mini costs 400 dollars and it has all the functions of the multimedia package like radio, voice control and gbs of music. It just won't have DVD changer but who needs that, I can put movie files on my ipad. The only thing really missing is the rear view camera.

That multimedia package costs nearly 2k more. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I hope that MBNA decouples the rearview camera from the Multimedia package in the future. Hopefully legislation with require standard rearview cameras within the next 2 years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hope that MBNA decouples the rearview camera from the Multimedia package in the future. Hopefully legislation with require standard rearview cameras within the next 2 years.
I don't know about the rearview camera legislation. I just don't like the idea of legislation forcing people to adopt rearview cameras. It's more costs for the car manufacturer and more money out of the pocket for the consumer. You also can't enforce people to even use it.

How would this law even apply to people who want track cars with all non essential items gutted out?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Plus some cars don't even have navigation systems.

I doubt it will be law but I do think that it should be a standard on Luxury car brands.

Eventually when the competition increases it will one day be standard.

I mean when time comes that it is standard on Hyundais and Acuras I think it is time for Mercedes to step up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does SiriusXM Traffic and Weather include radio? That is, can I listen to Howard Stern? I assume that the multimedia package will include the subscription too. I don't want to buy subscription costs on top of the $2,300.
I was wondering the same thing, what was included. All the extra services add up to about 1000.00 per year. (If you opt to have all services)

Mbrace plus with apps = 616.00 yr

Sirius Premier = 197.89 yr
Sirius Select = 159.39 yr
If the traffic/weather subscription is not included add an additional
72.00 yr to either Sirius package.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I don't know about the rearview camera legislation. I just don't like the idea of legislation forcing people to adopt rearview cameras. It's more costs for the car manufacturer and more money out of the pocket for the consumer. You also can't enforce people to even use it.

How would this law even apply to people who want track cars with all non essential items gutted out?
It is legislation that made all cars have airbags, seatbelts, ABS, and tire pressure monitoring system. All of which I bet nobody would drive a car without. As for the added expense, it doesn't cost that much more to add a rear view camera. Most cars now have a screen for various data and controls, even those without OEM navigation systems. To add a simple camera to that screen is relatively inexpensive. You don't have to enforce people to use a backup camera but it is there for those who do want to use it. A person can ignore a low tire pressure warning if they want to. It's not against the law. But I bet most people would put air in their tires if they saw the warning. Just like the camera. They don't have to use it but if they saw a child or another car in the monitor, I bet they'll stop.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Plus some cars don't even have navigation systems.
Some? I bet most cars don't have navigation systems. But that doesn't matter. A lot of manufacturers are putting the back up monitor in the rear view mirror. When they put the vehicle in reverse a monitor built in to the rear view mirror (which they will automatically look at anyway when they're backing up) comes on displaying the rear image. No screen on the dash needed.

Eventually when the competition increases it will one day be standard.

I mean when time comes that it is standard on Hyundais and Acuras I think it is time for Mercedes to step up.
You seem to have compared Hyundai with Acura. You're either over valuing one or under valuing the other.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, what was included. All the extra services add up to about 1000.00 per year. (If you opt to have all services)

Mbrace plus with apps = 616.00 yr

Sirius Premier = 197.89 yr
Sirius Select = 159.39 yr
If the traffic/weather subscription is not included add an additional
72.00 yr to either Sirius package.
In Canada, you pay $250 for an annual plan. $20 a month for Premier and $16 for select. Internet radio costs an extra $4.

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I either listen to an audio book or local radio traffic channel. I wouldn't be able to justify paying for a service I would barely use. Even if it does have Howard Stern.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I pre-ordered the CLA and I got the multimedia package, sport package, and the xenon headlamps. I believe that the multimedia and sport packages are well worth the money, but I believe that MB could have added more features to the sport package.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is legislation that made all cars have airbags, seatbelts, ABS, and tire pressure monitoring system. All of which I bet nobody would drive a car without. As for the added expense, it doesn't cost that much more to add a rear view camera. Most cars now have a screen for various data and controls, even those without OEM navigation systems. To add a simple camera to that screen is relatively inexpensive. You don't have to enforce people to use a backup camera but it is there for those who do want to use it. A person can ignore a low tire pressure warning if they want to. It's not against the law. But I bet most people would put air in their tires if they saw the warning. Just like the camera. They don't have to use it but if they saw a child or another car in the monitor, I bet they'll stop.
Safety legislation on cars to adopt airbags, seatbelts etc is one thing. I just don't think rear view cameras are very practical. I suppose I view backup cameras more as a luxury item more than a safety. Using mirrors or turning your head is enough to see around you. Also, on coupe or small sedans like these I find it's a bit overkill. It would make more sense on SUVs on minivans. Vehicles where it is harder to see the area behind you.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Safety legislation on cars to adopt airbags, seatbelts etc is one thing. I just don't think rear view cameras are very practical. I suppose I view backup cameras more as a luxury item more than a safety. Using mirrors or turning your head is enough to see around you. Also, on coupe or small sedans like these I find it's a bit overkill. It would make more sense on SUVs on minivans. Vehicles where it is harder to see the area behind you.
I have to disagree and I think anyone with small children or live in a neighborhood with lots of kids would disagree with you also. No matter how you point your rear view mirrors you cannot see what is directly behind the car. Kids can be oblivious to the dangers of cars, especially one that is backing up. They also leave their bikes, balls, and other yard toys everywhere and that includes right behind a car. Also, other kids on the street ride their bikes and tricycles on the sidewalks and they don’t always know not to stop on someone’s driveway. As you switch your rearward views from left to center to right, what is going on outside behind you can change in a blink of an eye. A child could be chasing a runaway ball or loses control of their scooter. I do not consider it a luxury item as much as I don’t consider low tire pressure monitoring system a luxury item and they are now mandatory. But I realize this is only my opinion and I can respect others who have their own. My personal situation doesn't reflect others as theirs don’t necessarily reflect mine. Not everyone lives in a family oriented suburban neighborhood like I do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts