Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from my salesman a couple of days ago that an AMG rep would be available to meet with me yesterday. I showed up at the appointed hour, and there he was to meet with ME. I expected to see 20-30 people there asking question about colors & door gaps. ;) (I did actually ask that question - after all others had been discussed.)

It turns out that AMG has a small number of reps who circulate around the AMG Performance Centers to meet with staff, and an occasional customer. Bug your salesman; If your store is a Performance Center, someone like this should be available 'sometime'. This guy's background is technical, and he waxed ecstatic about the engine and tranny. It is a very different tranny from the base CLA. The engineering that has gone into upgrading the '45 makes the car seem like a bargain.

Everything below is my faulty memory &/or interpretation of what we talked about.

Torque steer: MB 'effectively' lengthened the transfer case across the width of the car to put equal length half shafts on the front. (I had been thinking that it was some kind of magical computer controlled electronic intervention.)

Stiff/harsh ride: This has been my big fear. I have had an M3, and tested the AMG versions of the C Coupe, and little roadster (whatever the hell they call that). In my opinion they have been good, not great, track cars and poor cars on everyday city streets. He said, "Unless you want a 100% track car, do NOT get the the performance suspension". The performance exhaust is 'flip a coin'; it can be added or subtracted later. (Bolt on) The car makes the little 'braps' on down shift without it in Sport Mode. We went for a short test drive; unfortunately 400 #s of sales people climbed in the back (nobody's ever seen this car) so the sprung/unsprung weight ratio approached that of a Lincoln Town car. That noted, I did not find the ride harsh. (Hooray!) Firm and settled, but not objectionable.
The car had 19" wheels.
I'm not 100% convinced, but he said that the 250 sport suspension is the same as that on the '45.
The car was cold, and it has a program to prevent it reaching down to pull out all 355 (+?) hp until it is warmed.
The car was red, with 'titanium colored' splitter and 'rocker panel add-ons'. He suggested that the black trim package looks a lot better.
Door Gaps: Yes, Viginia -They exist. And will until MB decides to make a longer interior door panel.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
thanks for your information vracer. I have also been thinking about if torque steer is an issue with the car but haven't read much

Does the CLA 250 also have these equal length driveshafts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting, thanks for taking the time to seek out an AMG rep vracer!

I too have been quite concerned about torque steer in the AMG, I mean 355 ponies pumping through the front drive wheels is typically going to have adverse effects.

Ah so the door gap is real, I've heard the argument swing both ways on a few different forums!

Did they let you get any pics?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm actually not all that afraid of torque steer in this car. I mean, Mercedes of all people know you can't go sending that kind of power to just the fronts. I bet once you go over like 200 or so hp it starts sending to the rear. The fronts and the rear tires are the same, so they can't be expecting all that much staying up front. And once you get up to the max, that still means less than 180hp on the front. That's not that much.

It's good to hear that the AMG isn't that harsh. And I can't imagine anyone who isn't loaded taking an AMG to a track day. You'd have to bring a semi-truck full of extra tires. AMGs are the opposite of most track day cars. AMGs are made to have a laugh as you slide the rear around a corner in a cloud of smoke while 10 other cars pass you. It's not for getting a good time. It's for having a good time.

On a side note about the car being cold, I hope they didn't use the same differential like in the C63 black that takes forever to warm up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I got a call from my salesman a couple of days ago that an AMG rep would be available to meet with me yesterday. I showed up at the appointed hour, and there he was to meet with ME. I expected to see 20-30 people there asking question about colors & door gaps. ;) (I did actually ask that question - after all others had been discussed.)

It turns out that AMG has a small number of reps who circulate around the AMG Performance Centers to meet with staff, and an occasional customer. Bug your salesman; If your store is a Performance Center, someone like this should be available 'sometime'. This guy's background is technical, and he waxed ecstatic about the engine and tranny. It is a very different tranny from the base CLA. The engineering that has gone into upgrading the '45 makes the car seem like a bargain.

Everything below is my faulty memory &/or interpretation of what we talked about.

Torque steer: MB 'effectively' lengthened the transfer case across the width of the car to put equal length half shafts on the front. (I had been thinking that it was some kind of magical computer controlled electronic intervention.)

Stiff/harsh ride: This has been my big fear. I have had an M3, and tested the AMG versions of the C Coupe, and little roadster (whatever the hell they call that). In my opinion they have been good, not great, track cars and poor cars on everyday city streets. He said, "Unless you want a 100% track car, do NOT get the the performance suspension". The performance exhaust is 'flip a coin'; it can be added or subtracted later. (Bolt on) The car makes the little 'braps' on down shift without it in Sport Mode. We went for a short test drive; unfortunately 400 #s of sales people climbed in the back (nobody's ever seen this car) so the sprung/unsprung weight ratio approached that of a Lincoln Town car. That noted, I did not find the ride harsh. (Hooray!) Firm and settled, but not objectionable.
The car had 19" wheels.
I'm not 100% convinced, but he said that the 250 sport suspension is the same as that on the '45.
The car was cold, and it has a program to prevent it reaching down to pull out all 355 (+?) hp until it is warmed.
The car was red, with 'titanium colored' splitter and 'rocker panel add-ons'. He suggested that the black trim package looks a lot better.
Door Gaps: Yes, Viginia -They exist. And will until MB decides to make a longer interior door panel.
YMMV

Very cool, thanks for the info on this.. the gaps surprise me given the pricetag! All that extra salesmen weight is a good test in a way!

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts