Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we knew the CLA/GLA and Q30 would eventually roll down the same assembly line in Mexico, but what I didnt know is that Nissan is actually building all 4 cylinder engines for Mercedes at their facility in Tennessee.

In the era of cost sharing we get little oddities like this– Nissan makes Mercedes-Benz engines in the US to ship them to Germany or Hungary or Mexico and Mercedes-Benz reaps the benefits....

The platform was jointly developed between Nissan and MB, the engines are Nissan, the Facility is Nissans... What about the CLA actually is a Mercedes?

Strange days...

Nissan makes good engines, but i dont think anyone would EVER mistake a Mercedes plant for a Nissan. Any one wondering how Mercedes can sell a $30k vehicle can stop wondering, Its not a $30k Mercedes, its a $20k Nissan dressed very well....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mercedes created all the underpinning architecture of the CLA, GLA and Q30. So it is a two way street with cost sharing. Much of the CLA's price is just branding anyway so I'm not surprised by Nissan making parts in order to cut costs so that MB can make more of a profit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercedes created all the underpinning architecture of the CLA, GLA and Q30. So it is a two way street with cost sharing. Much of the CLA's price is just branding anyway so I'm not surprised by Nissan making parts in order to cut costs so that MB can make more of a profit.
Mercedes didnt "create" the architecture, they developed it hand in hand with Nissan...

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
seems like there are more of these partnerships showing up over the past decade.

seems like Mercedes is making good use out of the Nissan partnership.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
....but what I didnt know is that Nissan is actually building all 4 cylinder engines for Mercedes at their facility in Tennessee.
You didn't know it because it's not true! Not even close.

The gasoline engines for the A, B and CLA are all built in Daimler factories in Gaggenau, Untertürkheim Hedelfingen and Kölleda.

source.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't know it because it's not true! Not even close.

The gasoline engines for the A, B and CLA are all built in Daimler factories in Gaggenau, Untertürkheim Hedelfingen and Kölleda.

source.
actually thats only until 2014, when engine production will be switching to Tennessee

source

Nissan Motor Co. and Daimler AG said they have agreed to produce four-cylinder Mercedes-Benz gasoline engines at Nissan's Decherd, Tenn., engine factory from 2014 to be fitted on Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti models.

as one commenter put it brilliantly "German car engine manufactured in a Japanese auto plant located in Tennessee..who would've ever thought!"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is this only with the CLA and other lower compact models with these four cylinder engine that involves nissan? Maybe that is why they are able to make the costs so affordable...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
actually thats only until 2014, when engine production will be switching to Tennessee
All that link says is local production will be set up in Alabama for the C-Class models that will be built in the USA.

The article does not say that the four German plants that are building the this engine for European plants will be closing. So this is not particularly relevant to a CLA forum, where the engines will continue to be sourced from Europe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would it really be a tragedy if Nissan was involved with creating these engines anyway? I am sure they would do a good job, and I'm also sure that Mercedes-Benz would make sure that they are doing a good job. It's not like Nissan is known for making terrible parts 9are they?)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All that link says is local production will be set up in Alabama for the C-Class models that will be built in the USA.

The article does not say that the four German plants that are building the this engine for European plants will be closing. So this is not particularly relevant to a CLA forum, where the engines will continue to be sourced from Europe.
the CLA will end up being produced in Mexico on the same line as GLA and Q30, its likely North American CLAs will have their engines built at the Nissan facility in Tennessee, just becasue the other facilities wont be shutting down doesn't make the events mutually exclusive.

The CLA/GLA and A-class have more engine choices in europe than we have been given in NA...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
There's no reason to be confused; the original post is incorrect; the A, B and CLA engines are all made in Europe.

This could eventually change but for the foreseeable future, that's the way it's going to be.

·
Registered
945 Posts
There's no reason to be confused; the original post is incorrect; the A, B and CLA engines are all made in Europe.

This could eventually change but for the foreseeable future, that's the way it's going to be.
as production demand increases and if they expand on this platform in the U.S. i think we can see the shift change for production

1 - 13 of 13 Posts