Mercedes CLA Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi folks,

At 24K mi one of my Pirelli run-flats developed a side bulge.
I am finding out that run flats are sensitive to impact (potholes, brushing up agains a curb) so this is apparently fairly common.

They have some sort of pro-rated road hazard warranty on them, but I am not even going to bother.

Consider, if something like this happens, you will likely have to replace 2 tires (to avoid running on 2 differently worn tires) and of course the other undamaged tire would not be covered by warranty. BTW good luck trying to get a tire shop plugging run-flats should you pick up a nail.

I am opting to ditch these evil suckers. For the price of a pair of the pirelli run flats, I can put on a full set of Michelin non-run flats.

MB in their infinite, er.. wisdom did not provide enough storage space for even a donut spare.
I could forgive them not providing me a spare, but not providing the place to store one should I want one, is inexcusable. The user's manual suggestion to use tire goop on non-run flats is utterly lame. The goop ruins the TPM, and makes it impossible to plug the tire.

I think I will just carry a plug kit so I can plug any nail holes if one should happen, right then and there.
It's supposed to be a sporty luxury compact coupe . . . You can't have everything you know. They give you your donut, and 99 other people who never consider changing a flat will complain about the lack of cargo space. Personally, I'd rather go for the style and fuel efficiency than have the spare, especially since I still have yet to have a flat and don't really care to change a flat and get all that dirt and grime in my CLA after I'm done changing the tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well first off, realistically most Mercedes owners are NOT the type to fix a flat on the side of the road, so that probably factored into Mercedes' design. Also, since it's such a small car putting a spare would eat into the already small amount of space. And mess up their CAFE calculations, which is probably a major consideration for Mercedes to create and bring the CLA for the US market.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts