Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stumbled upon this board and right now I am really liking how the new CLA looks. I do not mind that it is a front wheel drive as some have mentioned. I believe front wheel drive cars are just as capable below 300hp as a rear wheel drive.

I currently own a C350 non 4Matic.

I am going to go on a limb and say the $29,900 USD is for the CLA250 base model.

Looking at the CLA ordering guide it looks like I want:

18" rims
Bi-Xenon Headlights ~ $850
Sport Package Styling
Panorama Sunroof ~ $1480

The sport package is $2,000
Premium 1 Package is $2,200
I am most interested in the XM Radio, Heated Seats, and dual climate from this package.

Multimedia Package is a must ~
I love tech features.
$2,300

I am amazed leather seats is no included in one of the packages :mad: Common its a Benz! After all the options it will be close to $40k with no leather seats!~ :eek:

Leather seats are $1,200 and metallic paint is $720

$29,900 + $850 + $1480 + $2000 + $2200 + $2300 + $1,200 + $720

Comes up to $40,650 USD!

Now to be honest that is a well featured CLA and its still not that expensive. At $40 thousand is it worth it to pay maybe an extra $4000-$5000 for 4Matic?

That puts it at $45,000 and well into the reaches of other cars.

What other cars should I be looking at for $45,000?

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's quite a jump up from the 29,900 starting price. I wouldn't get it fully loaded. I would probably get the leather seats and leave it pretty much basic.

For 45K, I'd buy the Nissan Nismo 370z or Genesis Coupe.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I originally intended to keep the price around $35k depending on how much I love the CLA once I get a chance to drive it, maybe then I can justify spend more to have a better car.

At the moment i think ill get the CLA250 4matic sport at a price of $33k. It's only a $3k jump from the starting price and a non-4matic CLA

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the options that i want in the CLA 250 add up to more than $40,000 I would drop the idea of going through with the purchase. when it hits that pricing category there is so much more to consider even though its a Mercedes. It might just end up being way too much for all the options. this is where Mercedes draws you in and takes your money. But i can see some buyers cheaping out on the options just to save some money and end up getting the CLA.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's quite a jump up from the 29,900 starting price. I wouldn't get it fully loaded. I would probably get the leather seats and leave it pretty much basic.

For 45K, I'd buy the Nissan Nismo 370z or Genesis Coupe.
The only problem is now your going from a entry level sedan to a high performance sport car. You cant compare that to a mercedes CLA. But dollar for dollar i can see where your getting at with performance and trims on the 370z or genesis coupe. But will the quality be the same as the CLA? the 370z has cheap plastic panels on the dash board and its a 2 seater coupe, and the genesis coupe is a 2 door coupe. The engineering and reliabllity is questionable from the korean brand...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Canadian pricing has yet to be announced, but for a ball park point of reference, US pricing starts at US$30,825 with front-wheel drive and around US$33,500 with the all-wheel-drive 4Matic system. The CLA will be priced below the C-Class and above the B-Class in Canada, so expect to pay mid to high 30K range when it launches here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only problem is now your going from a entry level sedan to a high performance sport car. You cant compare that to a mercedes CLA. But dollar for dollar i can see where your getting at with performance and trims on the 370z or genesis coupe. But will the quality be the same as the CLA? the 370z has cheap plastic panels on the dash board and its a 2 seater coupe, and the genesis coupe is a 2 door coupe. The engineering and reliabllity is questionable from the korean brand...
Not arguing with you there. They are a completely different class of cars. OP asked what people would buy for 45k. I gave my answer.

As you also said, if the costs of the CLA plus extras were to reach over 40k I wouldn't even bother with it.

The appeal of getting the CLA is getting something decently luxurious at an affordable price. At a higher price point, my criteria would change to something with more performance :)

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure anymore. I am going to have to shop around if the CLA ends up being $45 thousand after taxes and delivery. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure anymore. I am going to have to shop around if the CLA ends up being $45 thousand after taxes and delivery. Thank you everyone.
The BMW 3 series is a good car to look at but i'm sure when you compare the two when priced nearly equally the CLA will have more to offer and won't look as boring.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
OK lets build one.

BMW 320i sedan

-heated seats
-Moonroof
-Lighting Package (Xenon)
-Sport Package
-Driver Assistance (rear view camera)

$42,295 after destination.

I'd say very competitive with the CLA 4Matic specified to the same features.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm with you there. If price gets too high, I'll probably just buy a Subaru BRZ.
The BRZ is a decent car for what it is, but it will in no way match the quality of the BRZ. Just compare the interior of the two. No competition there.

In terms of fun and handling. The BRZ is better. It really depends what you want from a car. Comfort and luxury vs basic but fun.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
The BRZ is a decent car for what it is, but it will in no way match the quality of the BRZ.
???

Comfort vs luxury is the best way to put it. These two cars dont bump necks at all. Much too different to even compare really. Hands down for the price I would go for the luxury and comfort not to mention the power. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts