Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to add an MB stock sunroof to my CLA 250 or is that a ridiculous notion in terms of cost?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
It would be ridiculously expensive. It might be cheaper to sell your CLA, take the hit in depreciation, and then buy another CLA with the pano sunroof. Think about it, I don't think any dealer would have any parts let alone be willing to modify the roof to add the genuine MB pano roof. So you'll have to ship it back to the factory in Hungary and then back again to the US. The shipping cost alone will kill you. Plus the cost of the actual parts and labor you're talking some serious money.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It would be ridiculously expensive. It might be cheaper to sell your CLA, take the hit in depreciation, and then buy another CLA with the pano sunroof. Think about it, I don't think any dealer would have any parts let alone be willing to modify the roof to add the genuine MB pano roof. So you'll have to ship it back to the factory in Hungary and then back again to the US. The shipping cost alone will kill you. Plus the cost of the actual parts and labor you're talking some serious money.
Yeah that would be the best way to go about it.
Not worth all the trouble to stick with his original CLA. Best to get a new one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also don't forget that cars nowadays have no chassis to speak of and the entire body is part of the car's structural integrity. You don't know what MB may have added to the rest of the car to compensate for the loss of integrity due to a sunroof, nor what a "non-standard" sunroof may do to the balance and center of gravity of the car, which in turn can wear on parts and/or mess up all the electronic calculations for the car. It's not like back in the days when everything was analog. And sunroofs are heavy and high, so they can throw things off a lot more, not like a cheap plastic body kit.

In terms of cost, it may cost a lot or not all that much if you factor in resale value. I personally would expect the seller to me to take a big hit for aftermarket mods since I don't have any gurantee the person did it right. But some buyers are stupid and will pay more because you have a sunroof and don't care/know about the risks of an aftermarket used car. :p So there is the possibility you may not lose as much at the back end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I think the best idea is to leave it alone. I really love the car and it has been completely free of issues at 4000 miles. No rattles, squeaks, check engine light coming on, and collision avoidance going off randomly. It shifts smoothly, the ECO stop/start works without shaking the car, the HK sound system sounds great, and the fit and finish is top notch. These are all recurring complaints I seem to have avoided. I probably should not have mentioned any of this, as my good luck could run out. So... given your helpful advice I think I am going to keep the car and stick my head out the window for additional light and a breeze! Thanks to all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts