Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this not a stand alone option? Does that mean I'd have to either get the Multimedia package or install it myself aftermarket?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why is this not a stand alone option? Does that mean I'd have to either get the Multimedia package or install it myself aftermarket?
I guess the notion to have the rear view cam was not a stand alone option that they could push as this would require them to practically give away the 7" screen. The 7" screen is the only screen that has the capability to depict the rear view cam.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Just another way for Mercedes to make you buy packages.

Many manufacturers do this in different techniques. The starting price always sounds great doesn't it :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
More money in package bundling than there is in standalone. The cheapest option would be to install a third party after market cam.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure what visibility is like through the rear windshield but seeing how the roof slopes down so much and the C-pillars being so thick I bet visibility isn't as good as it should be and for that I think a rear view camera should be standard.

Range Rover was nice enough to make a rear view camera standard on it's Evoque, why can't Mercedes be as nice :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just another way for Mercedes to make you buy packages.

Many manufacturers do this in different techniques. The starting price always sounds great doesn't it :)
That is exactly how they are coming abouts with extra add ons. anything you see that could be a potential add on expect to pay extra for it nothing new really. this is how they generate more money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is exactly how they are coming abouts with extra add ons. anything you see that could be a potential add on expect to pay extra for it nothing new really. this is how they generate more money.
Well would you much rather buy a package with only a couple things you like in it and having to pay in full for it. This is the best way to make a CLA that is best suited for each individual driver to meet their needs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with a rear camera. I think the rear mirror should be enough for me.
I thought the same thing until I borrowed a friend's RDX. It is very handy for backing up. It guarantees you will be within the lines. And the safety of knowing nothing is hiding behind you is a great plus.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
When I ordered my '07 Bimmer Coupe, a rear camera was not available. About a year ago, I had an after-market one installed. It is completely integrated in the car and cannot be seen. That and a 400 hp, 400 ft/lbs Dinan tune make the car perfect, except for one thing. I am looking for a fresh face. And it is cheaper to get a new car than it is to get a new wife. A CLA45 is on order

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Range Rover was nice enough to make a rear view camera standard on it's Evoque, why can't Mercedes be as nice :p
Never mind the luxury brands, Honda and Toyota have models where a back up camera is standard. Even Honda's cheapest $22,000 Accord has a back up camera and an 8" screen standard. Their $18,000 cheapest Civic has a back up camera mated to a 5" display screen... standard. It's not an expensive addition considering most cars now come with some kind of touch screen. I was forced to drive a Chevy Spark (long story, don't ask) and even that little thing had a 7" touch screen.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I would of expected a rear view came too I mean even though its entry level at the end its still a mercedes right. But in this case we will have to look in to getting aftermarket ones. I don't like how the aftermarket ones fit and look.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would of expected a rear view came too I mean even though its entry level at the end its still a mercedes right. But in this case we will have to look in to getting aftermarket ones. I don't like how the aftermarket ones fit and look.
The problem is that most of the aftermarket ones are just too generic and they look out of place and doesn't flow with the car. Unless if one manufacturer took some consideration in making vehicle specific one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts