Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP i have to finalize tomorrow and cant decide if i should go with MB tex recaros or leather?!?! whats your thoughts? is it worth the money?

·
Registered
31 Posts
get the mb text

the mb text is fine. it holds up better than the leather. put that money into other options. get something else in the build that you would really want. the difference between the mb text and leather is not a big deal. nobody is going to get in and say this isnt leather. you cant tell the difference

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want the dash wrapped, as well as the tops of the doors with MB text then you have to get leather I believe. This is the only reason why I am choosing leather over MB-text seats.

·
Registered
507 Posts
HELP i have to finalize tomorrow and cant decide if i should go with MB tex recaros or leather?!?! whats your thoughts? is it worth the money?
I'd go with leather @DustinDep, I'd think it's easier to resell later. Everyone loves leather!

Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hard to believe anyone couldn't tell the difference between vinyl and leather. I've had both in M-B, and there is no question. The "hand" of real hides is inviting, Tex feels inert, cold/hot, plasticy. Why do think real leather has been the standard for luxury for so many years? Tech is great, but you are sitting on the seat coverings every second you're in the CLA. IMHO the real thing is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to be putting a isofix base for a baby seat in the back what do you think will wear better?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can get those mats that go below the baby sit to guard the seat, I had one in a van before. I don't recall the name off the top of my head though.

I'd still go with leather.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
personal preference.

MBTEX isn't bad. Its not real leather though. If you are a "leather" kind of guy you would want real leather.

But the MBTex isn't a cheap fabric.

its top in synthetic leather imitation fabrics.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Personally, the CLA just isn't a "good enough" car in my mind to deal with leather and the eventual wear to warrant it. Granted, I plan on keeping the car and handing it down (seems like a lot of people are leasing) so I'm more biased on longevity. But also for me unless the seat covering is awful, I don't dress light enough to feel the difference when I'm driving. The MBTex is good enough for my coat and pants.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Personally, the CLA just isn't a "good enough" car in my mind to deal with leather and the eventual wear to warrant it. Granted, I plan on keeping the car and handing it down (seems like a lot of people are leasing) so I'm more biased on longevity. But also for me unless the seat covering is awful, I don't dress light enough to feel the difference when I'm driving. The MBTex is good enough for my coat and pants.
If you plan to keep a CLA for that long I think it would be better if you were to lease and keep on upgrading to a better CLA as they get improved and keep the last one you can get for as long as you wish to. The last years of production are almost always the best

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you plan to keep a CLA for that long I think it would be better if you were to lease and keep on upgrading to a better CLA as they get improved and keep the last one you can get for as long as you wish to. The last years of production are almost always the best
Leather starts looking bad as soon as 3 years depending on use. And I plan on commuting at least half the time with it. But I also plan on handing it down after that, so it doesn't really make sense to lease. A lease may be cheaper, but doesn't make up for the lack of the car at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
if you keep leather clean and oil free it'll last you a long time.

even though there are many non believers I think that treating the leather with some kind of protectant or moisturizer helps prevent the wrinkles that you normally get with leather through wear and tear.

I also try to be careful when getting in and out to not completely smash the supporting bolster facing the door. That is usually the first part of seats to get very worn out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not too sure what the "wear" issue people are mentioning, in relation to real, genuine, cowskin. My SLK is almost 16 year's old, and the grey leather still looks great. Yes, I dress it twice a year. That takes 10 minutes. I read that MB-Tex is made with vegetable fibers, and it's not really prototypical vinyl. The stuff is very nice. But...leather is the real thing, and most everyone who has it ends up loving the scent, the touch, the luxury status. IMHO a M-B denotes The Best of Nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts