Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the CLA250 will have a 2.0L Turbo engine that puts out around 205 hp. That's nothing to sneeze at but there are cars on the market now with the same size turbo engines that put out more HP... some much more. Kia has a 2.0T that puts out over 270 HP. I know MB has brilliant engineers that know what they're doing. I'm wondering if they purposely tuned down their 2.0T to put out lower HP for longevity purposes.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Longevity ? Not sure about that because I heard they are running that turbo at some crazy PSI (like close to 30PSI)

Engine better be strong because 20+PSI of boost isn't anything to ignore.

I figured it must be a very low compression 2.0L to run that much boost and only make 200hp. It's got good torque though.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard they are running that turbo at some crazy PSI (like close to 30PSI)

Engine better be strong because 20+PSI of boost isn't anything to ignore.
I think only the CLA45 AMG is running at the PSI you're talking about (26.1 psi I think). I'm talking about the CLA250, I don't think they're running at that level of high pressure. Even so, that doesn't explain why Mercedes' 2.0T (not the AMG version) puts out 205 hp while others like Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Audi, VW, Volvo, etc. can put out much more horsepower with their 2.0T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know the CLA250 will have a 2.0L Turbo engine that puts out around 205 hp. That's nothing to sneeze at but there are cars on the market now with the same size turbo engines that put out more HP... some much more. Kia has a 2.0T that puts out over 270 HP. I know MB has brilliant engineers that know what they're doing. I'm wondering if they purposely tuned down their 2.0T to put out lower HP for longevity purposes.

That's why I give the old 1 series bmw the edge in terms of power (over 300hp). If they didn't discontinue the old 1 series, I'd go with that but I guess I just have to do some light mods to the CLA. Going from STI to CLA, I need at least 300hp.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think only the CLA45 AMG is running at the PSI you're talking about (26.1 psi I think). I'm talking about the CLA250, I don't think they're running at that level of high pressure. Even so, that doesn't explain why Mercedes' 2.0T (not the AMG version) puts out 205 hp while others like Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, Audi, VW, Volvo, etc. can put out much more horsepower with their 2.0T.
Maybe Mercedes is just playing it safe with the CLA250 or maybe the engine is not as reinforced as the CLA45 AMG. The brands of vehicles you mention with the ones that have turbo applications do pump out more horspower but also suffers from more problems.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's why I give the old 1 series bmw the edge in terms of power (over 300hp). If they didn't discontinue the old 1 series, I'd go with that but I guess I just have to do some light mods to the CLA. Going from STI to CLA, I need at least 300hp.
The bmw 1m definitely had an edge even the second last model the 135i had 300hp and the 128i had 220hp. Mercedes does need to step up the baseline a little to compete.

Coming from a car like that it will be quite noticeable. I guess your gonna have to wait till some performance mods to help you cope.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe Mercedes is just playing it safe with the CLA250.
That was exactly my point.
The brands of vehicles you mention with the ones that have turbo applications do pump out more horspower but also suffers from more problems.
Do you know that for a fact or just an assumption and what data do you have stating that they suffer problems? So far I haven't heard of any problems from any of their 2.0T engines. I'm not knocking the CLA250 engine in any way. If there's a reason for them to tune it to deliver 205 hp while others are tuning theirs to put out more hp then I would like to know. I know MB can have it put out more power than 205 hp if they wanted but decided not to. I'm just wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Just get the new 2 series M to be released. It's the 1M replacement.

I think even the regular CLA 250 runs on a high turbo pressure.

I have no answer as to why its only 200hp. Maybe some stupid low compression rates? Or Mercedes needs to learn from Honda.

S2000 is a 2.0L and makes 240hp naturally aspirated.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Yeah but the S2000 has crap torque at silly high RPM. Not the ideal formula for a 1500 kg car like the CLA....

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
That is true but the comparison isn't exactly fair since the S2000 is n/a where as the CLA is turbocharged. If you turbocharged the S2000 it would just make the CLA engine look even more inferior. I've seen some S2000s make a ton of torque when turbocharged.

I do think the CLA makes great torque but I do wonder why the HP numbers are a tad bit low. I would say tuning could bring the potential up. I've seen other turbocharged 2.0Ls that make around 220hp and still have great torque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
..... More HP means less mpg, I'm certain MB wants good milage numbers. Beside, for high HP's, why turbocharge in the first place then...... Better to stay with a 6

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a chance to test drive the CLA after the auto show in NY and I must say that the car has power. It is insanely responsive and the turbo kicks in smartly.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..... More HP means less mpg, I'm certain MB wants good milage numbers. Beside, for high HP's, why turbocharge in the first place then...... Better to stay with a 6

Cheers
I'm not sure I know what you're talking about.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The car is quick enough as is....really who needs more speed for a street car, especially in North America where the nanny state has taken over.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car is quick enough as is....really who needs more speed for a street car, especially in North America where the nanny state has taken over.
I agree but that wasn't my point.... but that's OK.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A direct response to the topic..."relatively low HP for the CLA250"... The reason being better fuel consumption figures
What are their fuel consumption numbers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts