Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mercedes CLA will be released in China with a longer wheel base, and now we have a rendering to see how that would look.

The extended wheel base should make for bigger rear doors and more legroom.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Mercedes CLA will be released in China with a longer wheel base, and now we have a rendering to see how that would look.

The extended wheel base should make for bigger rear doors and more legroom.
It always kills me how they have way less space for cars yet every maker comes out with a stretched version for the Chinese market, CLA no exception

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think that Chinese people would want smaller vehicles given the extremely cramped conditions in most Chinese cities. Not only this, but Chinese people are generally much shorter/smaller than their North American counter parts.

I would never want to look for a parking spot in a major Chinese city, let alone finding one for my stretched vehicle. I wonder what is causing the Chinese to want bigger vehicles. Are they going to start buying up all our old Hummers and Escalades?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wonder what CLA models will get the long wheel base treatment, if it will be all of them, or just the first few trims for China.

What would be cool is a LWB CLA45 AMG!

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Of course if they were to consider it would have to be the CLA 45 AG model. I can't see them wasting time on the base models. It completely goes against with that they are trying to achieve in the first place.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It always kills me how they have way less space for cars yet every maker comes out with a stretched version for the Chinese market, CLA no exception
Yeah exactly, considering that most of the transportation apparatus is bicycles. But with their economy growing so well anything can happen. For the next decade we will see a more luxurious side to them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard rumors that in China they might even make some of the new Mercedes models limousines to transport clientele. The CLA LWB would be a great match for what they are looking for.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah exactly, considering that most of the transportation apparatus is bicycles. But with their economy growing so well anything can happen. For the next decade we will see a more luxurious side to them.
Their luxurious side is dependent on western economies buying their cheap products, as western economies slide (im looking at you europe) look for China to land even harder as the rug is yanked right out from under them

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
You would think that Chinese people would want smaller vehicles given the extremely cramped conditions in most Chinese cities. Not only this, but Chinese people are generally much shorter/smaller than their North American counter parts.

I would never want to look for a parking spot in a major Chinese city, let alone finding one for my stretched vehicle. I wonder what is causing the Chinese to want bigger vehicles. Are they going to start buying up all our old Hummers and Escalades?
most who can afford a mercedes in china can afford to hire a driver.

They prefer the extra rear seat room.

·
Registered
109 Posts
most who can afford a mercedes in china can afford to hire a driver.

They prefer the extra rear seat room.
I can't imagine buying a car for someone else to drive me around in it. I always find that the driver's seat is the most comfortable. Not sure if that is the seat, or the control. If I was going to get myself a car for someone else to drive me around in, I would have to get a Bentley. Are Bentley also moving into China?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Bentley is moving into China, or maybe it is there already. I am not sure about Chinese people wanting the bigger back seat because they all have drivers, but it is possible.

Will they be offering both versions of the CLA in China or only the stretched one?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I can't imagine buying a car for someone else to drive me around in it. I always find that the driver's seat is the most comfortable. Not sure if that is the seat, or the control. If I was going to get myself a car for someone else to drive me around in, I would have to get a Bentley. Are Bentley also moving into China?
A bentley and a entry level Mercedes are two very different price points.

There are already bentleys in China.

If you have ever driven a car in Asia you will understand why you do not want to be in the driver seat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bentley and a entry level Mercedes are two very different price points.

There are already bentleys in China.

If you have ever driven a car in Asia you will understand why you do not want to be in the driver seat.
I haven't driven in Asia, but I think I can imagine. I thought that only CEOs and their children got drivers though. I am surprised that this is more widespread in China. I would just think that if you have the money for a driver, you would also have the money for something a touch above the CLA. Then again, labor costs are pretty cheap in China, so maybe drivers are cheap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just read this article about how companies are having to focus way more on the back seat of the car for the Chinese market. This is because most Chinese who buy luxury cars in China have a chauffeur who drive them around. The other weird part about this is that the driving experience of the car is therefore not nearly as important. This phenomena also explains the lengthened back seats on all the Chinese versions of luxury cars.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just read this article about how companies are having to focus way more on the back seat of the car for the Chinese market. This is because most Chinese who buy luxury cars in China have a chauffeur who drive them around. The other weird part about this is that the driving experience of the car is therefore not nearly as important. This phenomena also explains the lengthened back seats on all the Chinese versions of luxury cars.
Now that makes sense, I doubt those chauffeurs are getting paid enough, some of these countries still have "slaves", people working get very little cash. They're probably nothing like the chauffeurs here in America.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts