Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is aa article in the October issue of R&T comparing the CLA250 to the A3 1.8T Quattro sedan. Here are some interesting quips and some commentary:

"MB broke new ground with its pretty, affordable, 4-door CLA. Audi walked the same path with more commitment and produced a better car.".. ZING right off the bat the CLA is in trouble with R&T, the beating continues further when they gush "the A3 offers a more comfortable cabin than the CLA......handles more sharply". Not the first tester that smacks the CLA's suspension pedigree. Still prattling on about the Audi, Engine-wise "the new 180 hp...is a little jewel with terrific fuel economy, excellent manners, and tremendous low-end grunt". Its a little funny they praised the Audis power plant when the CLAs M270 is clearly one of the hotter engines in the segment...

Continuing to fondle Audis little baby "The ride is cleanly firm, and the car feels both more assured and more connected to the road than the CLA." and wrapping it all up "The all-wheel-drive A3 is very possibly the best small sedan currently on sale."

Well the neither are on sale yet, at least not in NA.

Now obviously this is subjective and one needs to handle both the CLA and A3 sedan but the boys over at R&T certainly make an interesting case...

·
Registered
109 Posts
From the reviews I see of the CLA it seems like people want to like the CLA, but once they actually drive it it makes it hard to do so.

Is the A3 more expensive than the CLA?

·
Registered
945 Posts
yea well the A3 is ugly as hell. Ya'll can have it.
The A3 hatch was ugly but the A3 sedan is just as beautiful as the A4, A6 and A8 in it's own way from how I see it. It uses a bit of an outdated and overused design, but still somehow seems to look right with other new designs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
to be honest i would of got the A3 hatchback over this new sedan. something just doesn't belong. it looks super tiny for a sedan.

·
Registered
945 Posts
to be honest i would of got the A3 hatchback over this new sedan. something just doesn't belong. it looks super tiny for a sedan.
I disagree, i've seen all the pictures of the sedan version and everything about it is right. I bet a lot of people seeing it on the road for the first time will think it's an Audi A4.

It's just like how the Cadillac ATS looks like a CTS from a distance.

All the proportions on the A3 sedan are how they should be

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Audis generally look so dull....the A5 actually is slightly better, quite OK, but the rest are dullsville with their goatee-grilles.

The new Quattro show car looks like an Audi Camaro.

I really think all German manufacturers, but especially Audi and M-B, would benefit from some Pininfarina design, or some outside design help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Audis generally look so dull....the A5 actually is slightly better, quite OK, but the rest are dullsville with their goatee-grilles.

The new Quattro show car looks like an Audi Camaro.

I really think all German manufacturers, but especially Audi and M-B, would benefit from some Pininfarina design, or some outside design help.
lexus is a decent example of a brand that has turned around it's design and grew some balls to try really different things, i think Mercedes needs to take that approach.

just look at the new Lexus IS front end, that is unique!

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's funny too because the racing version of the CLA had Road & Track themed decals on it.

A little bit of cognitive dissidence there.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I don't think so. I love the Mercedes designs. I don't find them boring at all.

The BMW and Mercedes designs are classy and futuristic at the same time

Audi has just looked the same for the past 5000 years.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Yup Audis have always had the same mug. Nothing has changed much except for the headlights they look droopier and not appealing. As for the A3 sedan being proportionate, It really doesn even matter since its such a boring vehicle anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
well they started the whole LED headlight craze. The newest Audis are starting to look more appealing but even still they are just slight updates in terms of styling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts