Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I test drove a cla this weekend. There seemed to be alot of road noise. What is your opinion?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I blaim it on the runflats.

There could be more sound insulation no doubt. But at this level of car it's not going to have E or S class like sound isolation.

It also depends what roads you are driving on as well.

What car are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
945 Posts
run flats are heavy and do create noise, probably as much as some winter tires do. Might be time for them to look into some tech to make the interior quiet. better insulation, acoustic windshield, etc.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The road noise level doesn't bother me. I barely notice it since I'm always listening to something when I'm driving (music, news, Howard Stern, my wife yapping).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are used to. The CLA is so much quitter then anything I've driven in the past.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I put nitrogen to the Tires and Voila problem solve and really solve is amazing the difference is another car !!

@lionelrd really, that much of a difference? Smoother and quieter? What did you pay to fill them with nitrogen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Road noise is there but no more so than what I would expect. I have a 4-door Jeep Rubicon and it defines road noise! I will say this: When I make phone calls from the integrated bluetooth system, no one can tell I'm calling from within my car. So long as the call quality is great, I could care less about a little road noise so long as the sound system and call quality are great. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
like mentioned above

it just depends what you are use to.

the CLA isn't going to be the quietest Mercedes.

Its also the cheapest Mercedes when it comes to price.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I put nitrogen to the Tires and Voila problem solve and really solve is amazing the difference is another car !!
I hate to say it, but that is called the placebo effect.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I hate to say it, but that is called the placebo effect.
Nitrogen does have benefits. The nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules in air so it is less likely to leak or not leak as much. Also, for those running on steel rims, you don’t have to worry about rust. Moisture in the air can collect in the tire which can rust steel rims and erode rubber from the inside. That’s not an issue with nitrogen. Check out this article: http://www.ehow.com/list_5805736_benefits-nitrogen-tires.html
When I ordered my camper a few years ago it came with nitrogen filled tires. It’s not a fad or hype. However, I never heard claims of it running quieter.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Tony,
My post didn't say there are no benefits, but for a STREET car, they are negligible. And don't forget that the "cheap spread" is 50% nitrogen anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nitrogen does have benefits. The nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules in air so it is less likely to leak or not leak as much. Also, for those running on steel rims, you don’t have to worry about rust. Moisture in the air can collect in the tire which can rust steel rims and erode rubber from the inside. That’s not an issue with nitrogen. Check out this article: http://www.ehow.com/list_5805736_benefits-nitrogen-tires.html
When I ordered my camper a few years ago it came with nitrogen filled tires. It’s not a fad or hype. However, I never heard claims of it running quieter.
Thanks for backing it up I have been using nitrogen for a while and actually notice a difference especially with temperature changes the pressure inside doesn't flucuate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts