Mercedes CLA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have any thoughts about it?

Generally Mercedes cars aren't that prone to rust. Many of the suspension parts are aluminum and the body uses good quality steel.

I know the dealership will often offer their own rustproofing package that they URGE you to buy :rolleyes: usually madly overpriced

What about getting rust proofing yourself at those rustproofing shops?

What is everyones opinion?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The past generation of A and B Classes had serious rust problems in doors and hatch. Mercedes lost millions replacing them for free (including mine). I rustproofed the new ones....

I would recommend at least spraying Würth cavity spray in all the drain holes until it runs out again. DIY, costs maybe $30.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well, I'm thinking of leasing.. so while it's certainly nice to think of the next owner, I'd say I won't own the CLA long enough to care. Is that naive of me?
Thats how I see it too, I will also be leasing so who cares, just send it through the cheap automated washes when needed and 3-4 years later onto another one.

A lot of people don't care much about leased vehicles, they treat them like a rental.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For the first generation I wouldn't doubt it if majority of people end up leasing instead of buiying. I can see some people being skeptical of buying first gens not knowing if there will be issues and what not. But no worries here ;)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
The past generation of A and B Classes had serious rust problems in doors and hatch. Mercedes lost millions replacing them for free (including mine). I rustproofed the new ones....

I would recommend at least spraying Würth cavity spray in all the drain holes until it runs out again. DIY, costs maybe $30.
Mike,
I'm not sure I would block the drain holes that Mercedes designed into the car without some advice from someone other than a person selling the product.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mike,
I'm not sure I would block the drain holes that Mercedes designed into the car without some advice from someone other than a person selling the product.
I'd agree here.. those holes are usually there for a reason!

I never apply aftermarket sprays like that on my cars. That said, how likely is rust on modern cars anyway, even cars from 2004+ that I see on the road are not that rusty, and I'm in the rust side of the US (NY) where we salt and sand.

Joe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't worry about rust. And even if you get some rust a few years outside of warranty, Mercedes should take care of you. My E320 wagon was about 4 years out of warranty when some rust started appearing on the rear tailgate/hatch. I contacted Mercedes, politely urged them to repair a problem that should not have happened in the first place, and Mercedes responded with a goodwill free repair of the tailgate with minimal fuss overall. That really bolstered by confidence in the brand.

Also don't block the holes...I respect the Mercedes engineering teams and they surely had their reasons when they designed the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes for mercedes if something is there ten out of ten time its there for a reason.

My friend had a rust issue in the past and went throught the same experiance, they took care of him and no questions asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts