Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

what was thought to be a cost cutting measure on the CLA has now been applied to the C-class. Why the Feck are nav screens regressing from full integration to stuck on garbage?

Theres a guy on the other CLA forum who was warned by cops to stop leaving his GPS on his dash because thieves might steal it...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Because stuck on gives more room in the dash for other things and allows a more natural line to the dash. And because anything that looks remotely like an Apple product makes certain people orgasm.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
the way I look at it. It would be hard to integrate it without making the dash look ugly

What should have been done is using a screen that is larger and uses LESS of the black border.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if thieves think its a seperate GPS unit. Breaks in an snaps it.
Could you imagine how bad this would be around Christmas. Someone who couldn't find the newest iPad or realized they had no money comes out of the store, sees you displaying your iPad to the world from your fancy Merc, steals it, and then finds out after the fact that they stole something completely useless and has no resale value since it won't go in any other car?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think that even if they Benz didn't completely integrate the nav screen into the dash they could have added some type of touch that would make it seem more a part of the whole. I like the idea about making it able to tilt towards and away from you. I'm not exactly sure what they should do with it, but I'm not a car designer. I am just surprised that they haven't done much to change it since there are plenty of people who think that is is ugly.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Because stuck on gives more room in the dash for other things and allows a more natural line to the dash. And because anything that looks remotely like an Apple product makes certain people orgasm.
This is probably the best way to justify having it like this, it does give the dash a cleaner look, but in the end we get what looks to be a tablet sitting on our dash boards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't like it in pictures when I saw it initially, but once I saw it in person I really liked the look of it. I don't mind that "it looks like a tablet". I like the height of it compared to the one I had in my dash in my previous car. I think they really did it for functional reasons over aesthetics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts