Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To introduce prospective new clients to a Mercedes-Benz lifestyle.

Enough said.

I expect the CLA to come in well below expected Mercedes pedigree, the whole vehicle is an on-boarding scheme to lower the entry level age of Mercedes buyers. Funnily I'm reminded of signing with a new bank in exchange for an iPod.

Buy the CLA, buy our lifestyle. Little by little everyday the CLA gets more and more unappealing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think this concern of a new entry-level is quite overblown when one considers that Europeans have long had access to cheaper Mercedes-Benz cars than even the CLA. For years, the A-Class, B-Class, and stripped spec C-Class cars have been available for those on a budget in Europe.

The pedigree of the brand has not been lowered by competing in those segments -- it has been lowered by the quality of those specific vehicles. Mercedes now has an appealing product in the new CLA and A Class, and the brand should not suffer from that. If done right, these new buyers will get a taste of Mercedes and move up as their age increases and income rises.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this concern of a new entry-level is quite overblown when one considers that Europeans have long had access to cheaper Mercedes-Benz cars than even the CLA. For years, the A-Class, B-Class, and stripped spec C-Class cars have been available for those on a budget in Europe.

The pedigree of the brand has not been lowered by competing in those segments -- it has been lowered by the quality of those specific vehicles. Mercedes now has an appealing product in the new CLA and A Class, and the brand should not suffer from that. If done right, these new buyers will get a taste of Mercedes and move up as their age increases and income rises.
pedigree here, North American Mercedes and European Mercedes are two different beasts. When the big germans made their move stateside it was during the dominant years of Ford/GM/Chrysler, being the german equivalents they needed a way to differentiate, so they moved upmarket. Mercedes is very much like GM in Germany covering many market segments and price points. Hell even german cabbys roll around in Mercedes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To introduce prospective new clients to a Mercedes-Benz lifestyle.

Enough said.

I expect the CLA to come in well below expected Mercedes pedigree, the whole vehicle is an on-boarding scheme to lower the entry level age of Mercedes buyers. Funnily I'm reminded of signing with a new bank in exchange for an iPod.

Buy the CLA, buy our lifestyle. Little by little everyday the CLA gets more and more unappealing.
I completely agree that this is the goal of the vehicle, but it may end up back firing on MB. The car is aimed at younger consumers, but younger people are just not buying cars like they used to. The CLA is offering the MB brand to young drivers, but many young people would rather go for quality and practicality than luxury and pedigree. Will a lot of young people overlook mediocre reviews of the CLA just because of the MB badge. I think most are smart enough to do their research and go for something different. If the CLA ends up not being successful then young people will have a memory of MB making bad products that aren't up to the quality you'd expect. That will stop them from buying MBs even once they are older.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree that this is the goal of the vehicle, but it may end up back firing on MB. The car is aimed at younger consumers, but younger people are just not buying cars like they used to. The CLA is offering the MB brand to young drivers, but many young people would rather go for quality and practicality than luxury and pedigree. Will a lot of young people overlook mediocre reviews of the CLA just because of the MB badge. I think most are smart enough to do their research and go for something different. If the CLA ends up not being successful then young people will have a memory of MB making bad products that aren't up to the quality you'd expect. That will stop them from buying MBs even once they are older.
Plus with this vehicle being aimed at Millennials we know they are not buying cars. Its not so much that younger people arent interested in cars or owning nice ones its that there are no jobs! Majority of Millennials are working part time gigs trying to pay down massive student debt. Is that an environment where the CLA is going to thrive? I doubt it, look at every other vehicle aimed solely at a Millennial audience and the same things become evident, nobody is buying, no body has a real job..

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Plus with this vehicle being aimed at Millennials we know they are not buying cars. Its not so much that younger people arent interested in cars or owning nice ones its that there are no jobs! Majority of Millennials are working part time gigs trying to pay down massive student debt. Is that an environment where the CLA is going to thrive? I doubt it, look at every other vehicle aimed solely at a Millennial audience and the same things become evident, nobody is buying, no body has a real job..
That's true but I think the CLA targets just about anyone wanting a nice compact. There are many people I met, young and old, that regret buying the luxury compacts they did once hearing about the CLA. These being owners of the Buick Verano, Acura ILX, and even people that own cars in the segment right above those cars.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the stats

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's true but I think the CLA targets just about anyone wanting a nice compact. There are many people I met, young and old, that regret buying the luxury compacts they did once hearing about the CLA. These being owners of the Buick Verano, Acura ILX, and even people that own cars in the segment right above those cars.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the stats
They may regret it now, before the CLA is even on the market in North America, but maybe they will be more at peace once they see the CLA in action.

Young people also just live in cities. There is plenty of public transit, so there is less need for a car. Maybe a car would be nice, but how do you justify it when you have student debt and the subway is right outside your door?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
that is just one of the goals of the CLA.

I can see existing Mercedes customers also going for the car. It's an attractive car regardless of the entry model position.

·
Registered
121 Posts
that is just one of the goals of the CLA.

I can see existing Mercedes customers also going for the car. It's an attractive car regardless of the entry model position.
If you already were a Mercedes-Benz customer, why would you buy the CLA? The CLA is an entry-level model that will be the cheapest MB offers. Current MB customers have the money to spend, and would likely want a superior model. Sure, a few MB customers will go for it, but I don't think the number will really be that significant.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you already were a Mercedes-Benz customer, why would you buy the CLA? The CLA is an entry-level model that will be the cheapest MB offers. Current MB customers have the money to spend, and would likely want a superior model. Sure, a few MB customers will go for it, but I don't think the number will really be that significant.
I only see crossing over with existing Mercedes clients at the top end. Say someone in a fully loaded C-class could be enticed into the hotter AMG CLA, obviously thats disregarding differences in size.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I only see crossing over with existing Mercedes clients at the top end. Say someone in a fully loaded C-class could be enticed into the hotter AMG CLA, obviously thats disregarding differences in size.
I still don't see this happening. If I had the money I would buy a fancier MB model, or a completely different driving car. The Infiniti Q30 is coming out soon and that is supposed to compete with the CLA. I will be interested to see how the two compare.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still don't see this happening. If I had the money I would buy a fancier MB model, or a completely different driving car. The Infiniti Q30 is coming out soon and that is supposed to compete with the CLA. I will be interested to see how the two compare.
I do, AMG models are out of reach for alot of Mercedes clientele, this is as much about entry level mercedes as it is entry level AMG. The margins are higher on AMG models

·
Registered
121 Posts
I do, AMG models are out of reach for alot of Mercedes clientele, this is as much about entry level mercedes as it is entry level AMG. The margins are higher on AMG models
The AMG has received much better marks on driving experience than the regular CLA. I suppose I could see MB loyalists buying the AMG version, but that increases the price of the vehicle quite a bit. There might be other comps outside of Mercedes-Benz' lineup that would be a better driving car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The AMG has received much better marks on driving experience than the regular CLA. I suppose I could see MB loyalists buying the AMG version, but that increases the price of the vehicle quite a bit. There might be other comps outside of Mercedes-Benz' lineup that would be a better driving car.
absolutely, I believe the BMW 2 series starts at $32k, MUCH better driving IMO. pick up last years g37 coupe in the $30k range as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think there is a lot of focus on brand loyalty going on in this thread. I think that Mercedes-Benz is actually having a problem with brand loyalty. MB owners are increasingly looking at options outside the MB line-up, and I don't think that the CLA will change that. I like to think that I judge car based on everything, but the brand. All the brand is is a little badge on the front, back, and steering wheel. Hardly an important factor in making a really expensive purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think there is a lot of focus on brand loyalty going on in this thread. I think that Mercedes-Benz is actually having a problem with brand loyalty. MB owners are increasingly looking at options outside the MB line-up, and I don't think that the CLA will change that. I like to think that I judge car based on everything, but the brand. All the brand is is a little badge on the front, back, and steering wheel. Hardly an important factor in making a really expensive purchase.
Really?

The new S class?

new C63 AMG?

They all seem to be very attractive cars from Mercedes.

Even if the CLA doesn't attract hardcore MB enthusiast they can still appreciate the attempt from Mercedes to attract entry level luxury car buyers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really?

The new S class?

new C63 AMG?

Even if the CLA doesn't attract hardcore MB enthusiast they can still appreciate the attempt from Mercedes to attract entry level luxury car buyers.
Mercedes doenst have enthusiasts, reserve that term for BMW fans or the Chevelle Club. Mercedes has connoisseurs and poor ones at that. They've stuck with Mercedes for years not out of loyalty but out of where else to go.

The new S class is more of a last car than a first car, its designed for the aging statesmen of Mercedes Clientele. Plus i dont believe mr smith actually said anything about mercedes not making exciting cars, he said clients were considering other options , and rightfully so.

Both Audi and Infiniti have made great strides the last couple of years to become legitimate contenders for Mercedes business. The CLA does nothing to change that and if anything signals Mercedes admission that they have to do something to stem the tide.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Really?

The new S class?

new C63 AMG?

Last time I checked appreciation doesn't translate to dollars. And that is exactly my point. MB fans will be like, "Yay, a new entry level vehicle that I am not going to buy. I really appreciate that."

·
Registered
945 Posts
Really?

The new S class?

new C63 AMG?

i actually used to be a BMW guy but made the move to MB, MB is just better to me on so many levels. While BMW's are more tamed and still sporty, many just as sporty as MB's, I think MB's still offer me and IMO is more attractive. Just look at the 7 series an S-Class, the S-Class is a far better car, 7-series is ugly and boring.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Last time I checked appreciation doesn't translate to dollars. And that is exactly my point. MB fans will be like, "Yay, a new entry level vehicle that I am not going to buy. I really appreciate that."
We will see. I still feel like the CLA will be one of the best selling Mercedes cars enthusiast or not.

There is as very large following of Mercedes over at mbworld and benzworld.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts