Mercedes CLA Forum banner

two things happened today.. (park button danger and distronic danger)

16K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  ZILLA 
#1 ·
1st..
I know in many places its been told but had to try it. Just picked up my mail and got in my car and just started the motion, I mean barely started moving and I hit the park button.. DUDE!!! THAT WAS A HARD I MEAN HAAARD BREAK!! It wasn't like a break, it was like a locking mechanism of the engine initiated while its still turning. with a very loud, scary metal hitting metal sound.. I was shocked.. Soo.. I'd say, don't do it. I was very slow too.. I hope I didn't break anything..
2nd..
I enjoy my drivers assistance package and I'm amazed with every feature in it. Today something important happened and I loved the car's instincts about to warn me. So my car matches the car in front of me at the city traffic, slows, stops, goes again etc..love it. So we are coming closer to the lights, bunch of cars already lined up, right before we were about to stop, car in front of me changes a lane and slides to the next lane.. My car was just about the stop by itself but since the car in front of me disappeared, takes off again to reach set cruise speed and didn't detect the car in front who was not in motion. Then collision assist starts beeping and I hit the break and we stopped.. So it was an experience.. If collision assist was off or not operational, could've been accident caused by distronic plus.. Technology is there but be careful using it. Wanted to share.

See less See more
#5 ·
Unfortunately the technology is never going to be perfect unless every car and truck on the road has the capability to talk to each other ( which will never happen) with that being said do not depend on distronic system to make decisions for you, I don't have Distronic on mine but I do have the blind spot assist and if the light comes on in the mirror I still look over my shoulder before changing lanes and don't trust it as it will go off even no one is there.

#9 ·
DUDEEEEE!!!!! OMG I'M GONNA PUNCH THIS PARK BUTTON IN THE FACE!! Foggy morning in Texas, going to get some tacos, put it in reverse and coming out of my carport, very humid so I wanted to start the vipers by CLICKING THE F...KING PARK BUTTON AGAIN!!!!!!!! GAAAWWWDDDD!!!..
anyway.. I'm calm now. thanks guys..

#14 ·
I gave it a test. Seems that if you tap the parking brake, it only engages a little. If you push on it fully.. it locks up. eeek.

awaiting the recall notice....

#16 ·
Parking brake button.

#20 ·
I'd say do it slower than that.. there's a rumor if the arrow is not on the "P" it won't switch to P however, I never had the balls to try it anyway. If you're gonna try that that, try on verrrrry slow, like barely moving.. I did it two times so far and nothing happened to car other than pissing me off baaaad!!!! :) Anyway.. let us know.. :) intact,, take a video?

#22 ·
Regarding #1, My wife did the same thing. She was going about 5 mph and accidentally hit "PARK" and there was several loud "clicks" and it came to a sudden stop. I'm not a mechanic, so I googled it out of curiosity and out of several sources, this seemed like the best answer (although generic):

"The "couple clicks" that you heard was probably the park pawl going into a "ratchet mode", rather than actually grabbing. Thus, the design of this mystery vehicle's transmission probably saved you from some very expensive repairs. Some transmissions are designed to do what yours did, and others will sustain serious transmission damage when subjected to bone-headed stunts like this. Don't take this one experience as evidence that you can continue to do things like this to your car. As was said, it appears that you dodged a bullet this time, but next time you might not be as lucky."

Our car seems to be working fine so we didn't take it in. If you do take your CLA into dealership, please let me know what they said as I am really curious and a similar thing happened to our car as well.

I also got the DAS Package in my CLA as well. I didn't really want it or care for it when I purchased it, however, it has started to grow on me and I am starting to see it's functionality being integrated with my driving. The Lane Tracking Assist has come in handy a couple of times already.

#23 ·
I noticed this morning that once you reach about 4 mph the arrow indicating you're still able to shift to that position next to the P goes off. The only arrow is next to N so once you reach 4 mph the only gear you can shift into is neutral. I didn't have to guts to actually try to push the Park button when the arrow is gone but I suspect that's what the arrows mean.

Reactions: musician
#25 ·
Ok i went to the dealer today and acted like I wanted to buy a CLA they in stock and took it for a test spin, after going 5 mph the P selection disappears so I did it with sales guy in the car-----tried to put car in park, it went to neutral not park. everyone can rest easy now, Do not push this button if you are going less than 4 mph or it will go into park.

#29 ·
On the OTHER garbage forum I had posted I was on the highway and hit the park button by accident thinking it was the wiper button and luckily the car didnt lock up the wheels (or blow gears up through the floor). It gave a warning on the instrument cluster screen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.