Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CLA must be somewhere near the top of the list of cars that most of us are considering. My question is, if not the CLA, then what?

The Verano and the ILX have been mentioned as possible competitors to the CLA.

I have been looking into the Nissan Juke.

It looks nice, is roomier than the CLA, and it starts at $21,298 (CAN). I think it looks nicer than the ILX and Verano too. Maybe it isn't "luxury" per se, but it is new and exciting and if you deck it out with all the options you've got yourself a pretty nice vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For me its the Audi A3. It has been getting generally better reviews than the CLA, and though it doesn't look as sporty, it is still a nice looking vehicle. Plus, the diesel version is super efficient.

The Juke is cool but not really that similar to the CLA. But, hey, to each thier own.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
still waiting on images and more information on the 2 series gran coupe to surface, but for now, the new audi S3/A3 sedan is the runner up...

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I'm sure people will look at other Mercedes vehicles in a similar price range.

Audi and BMW come right into mind.

Possibly Infiniti, Lexus, Acura

But a Juke? Not sure how you got that one. Why would you want a Juke vs a CLA?

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I'm sure people will look at other Mercedes vehicles in a similar price range.

Audi and BMW come right into mind.

Possibly Infiniti, Lexus, Acura

But a Juke? Not sure how you got that one. Why would you want a Juke vs a CLA?
yeah chances are the same people looking at a CLA will be looking at the basemodel C Class and any other trim C-Class that is within the CLA price range.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not sure which ones but the BMW 2 series and Audi A3 sedan seems like some interesting competitors going against the CLA. I think the best thing might just wait till all three are out so we can get a good comparison between them.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not sure which ones but the BMW 2 series and Audi A3 sedan seems like some interesting competitors going against the CLA. I think the best thing might just wait till all three are out so we can get a good comparison between them.
thats going to be a while, some people just don't have that kind of patience. There's not even a single spy shot of the 2 series gran coupe sedan online, i looked. Meanwhile the CLA is just weeks from being here.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Basically the only direct competitors to the CLA right now are Verano and ILX, but what about if you look at price comparisons, depending on your needs there is a healthy list in nearly every flavour imaginable...

Using a $40,000 price ceiling here are a few of the availables:

Pretty much loaded Accord
Camaro SS
Mustang GT
Challenger R/T
Hyundai Genesis Sedan
Ford Edge
Grand Caravan R/T
Lexus ES350
MINI John Cooper Works
Volkswagen Golf R
Lexus IS 250
Acura TL
Volkswagen CC
Impreza WRX STi
Buick Regal Turbo
Lincoln MKZ
Chrysler 300
Acura TSX
Jeep Wrangler
BMW 1 Series
Subaru Legacy
Mazda MX-5
Ford Escape
Buick Encore
FJ Cruiser
You could even get yourself into a nice full size pickup for that price.

So its really a difficult question. Personally I'd go with the STi or a Mustang ahaha.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Nice list you put together. It is true that the 40k price range is the sweet spot. Lots of cars you can get. I'm sure there are pros and cons to all of them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
As cfrp said what about Q50, base MSRP includes most of the CLAs optional features, its a little bigger and you could argue its styled even more seductively than the CLA. Even the ATS falls into the CLAs range, and the ATS was designed to kick beemers in the teeth. The ATS has an attractive design as well although it looks carved by a razor blade.

Q50 is pure wizard gizmos and technology while the ATS is pure athleticism. Caddy actually benchmarked the ATS against the e46 3 series platform for steering and feel.

Q50

ATS

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm actually considering the Lexus ES300h Hybrid or the Toyota Avalon Hybrid if I don't go with the CLA.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
The Lexus ES300H isn't a bad choice if you went away from the CLA the Avalon for me didn't make the cut for it's looks but the features and interior is decent.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
How much do those add up to out the door? More than the CLA I would think right?
Yes, they would cost more than a base CLA but you also get a lot more. Paying more for substance rather than a badge.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Basically the only direct competitors to the CLA right now are Verano and ILX, but what about if you look at price comparisons, depending on your needs there is a healthy list in nearly every flavour imaginable...

Using a $40,000 price ceiling here are a few of the availables:

Pretty much loaded Accord
Camaro SS
Mustang GT
Challenger R/T
Hyundai Genesis Sedan
Ford Edge
Grand Caravan R/T
Lexus ES350
MINI John Cooper Works
Volkswagen Golf R
Lexus IS 250
Acura TL
Volkswagen CC
Impreza WRX STi
Buick Regal Turbo
Lincoln MKZ
Chrysler 300
Acura TSX
Jeep Wrangler
BMW 1 Series
Subaru Legacy
Mazda MX-5
Ford Escape
Buick Encore
FJ Cruiser
You could even get yourself into a nice full size pickup for that price.

So its really a difficult question. Personally I'd go with the STi or a Mustang ahaha.
Hey thanks for putting this list together booker. i am going to take a look at the ones on here that spark my interest. I already was looking at an Audi, but a BMW or Lexus might be worth a look too. I am tempted by the muscle cars but I find that the interior on them is often sub-par.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is quite a big list but I already see so many that I have no interest in or can't see myself in. the only one that would be ok with is the BMW 1 series.

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is quite a big list but I already see so many that I have no interest in or can't see myself in. the only one that would be ok with is the BMW 1 series.
well $30-40k really is the sweet spot in the auto industry, you get a convergence of entry level luxury, SUVs, minivans, muscle cars, sports cars and pickup trucks.

You could get yourself into a RWD saloon like the 300/Charger, into an over priced Nissan Leaf, ATS with a 6 or even a 428i.

Many options, many questions. Sure the CLA is priced "well" but compared to what surrounds it why not go for more car than the CLA provides?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts