Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this discussion about the target market for the Mercedes CLA, I was wondering what cars are typical old people cars. I don't think a Mercedes is an old person car, and the introduction of the CLA definitely supports that opinion.

Here is my list of cars that old people are buying these days:

1. Cadillac
2. Buick
3. Lincoln
4. Lexus
5. Acura

What do you guys think? Should the Mercedes be on the list? Am I missing out on an old person car, or have I mistakenly added something to the list that shouldn't be there?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Mercedes is like Lexus or Acura. They have cars targeted at younger audiences.

Cadillac Buick and Lincoln have a reputation of being a "old person brand"

But the truth is that the three of them make interesting cars that the youth might enjoy if they gave them a chance.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Young people might enjoy playing Bridge if they tried it too, but it is more about the branding than the actual game itself.

hehehe, what a clever comparison.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd roll a new MKZ with no worries
Are you joking or serious.

Because I really hope you're joking. Lincoln is the wal-mart of the luxury car world. Only big domestic car brand that actually does something right is Cadillac.

Lincoln was only good with making fleet vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Well maybe it's worse with Buick and Lincoln.

At least Cadillac has the ATS, CTS-V and the upcoming ATS-V which I find to be awesome cars.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well maybe it's worse with Buick and Lincoln.

At least Cadillac has the ATS, CTS-V and the upcoming ATS-V which I find to be awesome cars.
exactly.

ATS vs CLA will be an interesting comparison although the ATS is in a slightly higher segment.

For anyone unfamiliar with the ATS, this is a great video on it vs. the competition

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Are you joking or serious.

Because I really hope you're joking. Lincoln is the wal-mart of the luxury car world. Only big domestic car brand that actually does something right is Cadillac.

Lincoln was only good with making fleet vehicles.
Yes they were the biggest supplier for the limousine and limo business. Lincoln is far behind in the luxury segment if you ask me. Cadillac has stepped it up quite a bit. I think they have stepped out of that old stereotype.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Cadillac ATS-v will be competitive this time around. Can wait to give it a test drive as I already enjoy the current stages of it but with more power that is just insane.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could see myself in a Cadillac before a Lincoln. But really, if I was going to buy a luxury car I would not head toward those brands first even if they aren't terrible. BMW and Mercedes are way younger looking vehicles than Lincoln, Cadillac or Buick. These brands won't sell to young people at all if they simply aren't the most old looking car on the market; they need to be a car that is at the top of the list for (rich) young people to buy. Maybe that isn't their sales strategy, but then they have to be content with having that "car for old people" aura.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts