Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new Mercedes Benz CLA is close to making its way on the market. The starting price is just under $30,000 but is it more of the price that is becoming more attractive or the 208 hp turbo 4 cylinder. But its not always about money and power, think about the savings as well! And by that I mean the fuel economy. For such a sleek stylish and "luxurious" type car it still promises 35 mpg!!! How does this work exactly, whats the secret? I let you in on it... it all about making less drag. Right now the CLA is being known as the most aerodynamically efficient car in the WORLD! :eek:

*Drag coefficient: The meaning of friction force on objects that is used to push an object through at speed.

Here are the numbers to Honda Insight & Toyota Prius

The distinctive teardrop styling features of the 2013 Honda Insight an impressively slippery .25 Cd drag coefficient.

Touches like protrusions from the front and rear bumper, specially-designed side skirts and extensive under body cladding help the 2013 Prius V return its .29 coefficient of drag.

Pssshhhh... This ain't no match for the CLA. The CLA dials in at .23 drag coefficient, making it the most drag coefficient vehicle.

In this picture the CLA is being measure for Drag in a wind tunnel.

The design of the underbody is the most crucial as much air goes through on top there is at the bottom too. At the underbody there is a combination of thing making it have less drag. Such as slots in the fender wells. Baffle, body panel covers and diffusers.

So now that we understand how it works, we can go back to enjoying how amazing the design of the CLA is. Now we got a everybody's attention and not just the young kids, elders can chime in as well. The CLA 4Matic will be $3000 on top of the base. Not much to make it a 4wd. So are you convinced or what? Because I am :cool:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It's 0.28 on the CLA 250....hello....

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Technische Daten on the German M-B website. It's right there, check out the cw-Wert yourself. The only CLA with the 0.23 is the CLA 180.....

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content/germany/mpc/mpc_germany_website/de/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/models/cla-class/c117/facts_/technicaldata/models.html#_int_passengercars:home:model-navi:models

Be sure to select CLA 250 in the left column before scrolling down to read the Cd.

I have posted this fact a few times in different threads but no-one seems to care/notice!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
LOL.

it is because most articles refer to the .23 number but fail to mention that is the 180. and I believe the diesel model too.

.28 is the CLA250.

We have to remember to state the model. Not all CLAs are the same o.0

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not sure which model of the Mercedes CLA this is exactly since it was not disclosed and there was no badge on the rear but just to show you guys how the CLA's aerodynamics panned out in the wind tunnel testing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
meh... the car I drive now has a drag coefficient of .28
It’s all to keep USA oil dependent. We don’t get the option of the CLA220 or CLA180. Remember the GM EV1

Anyways…….. Isn’t the body style of the CLA250 the same as the 220 and 180? If so why do they have a different drag co?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts