Mercedes CLA Forum banner

What's a reasonable price for used CLA45, 400 miles

10K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  usedimportcar 
#1 ·
A dealer in the area got a trade in of a CLA45 with only 400 miles, around 64k new. I'm thinking about it. What do you guys think is a reasonable price for this given it is technically new? I've never bought a used car this new.

#2 ·
Since the car has been previousely registered it is technically considered used... and since the dealer most likely used that technicality to pay the 1st owner a used car price for it even with just 400 miles on it, I would say a good price would be around $58K. Of course this is assuming that everything about the car is perfect as if it was brand new with the exception of the 400 miles.

#3 · (Edited)
Find out what all the options are on that car, go to MB website and build and price car to see if it really is 64,000. Then I would subtract 15 to 20 percent the average depreciation of a new car driven off the lot no matter how many miles it has because it is now a used car. I would offer them 51,500 and go up maybe 54,500 and say that you are ready to buy car right now. Don't make an offer if you are not ready to commit to it.

#5 ·
Yeah, I checked the build. It all adds up right. The guy basically checked off almost every feature. And yeah, I'm going to check it for dings and crashes and such, especially the suspension in this thing. Also going to ask what the warranty is on this car since its used. I kind of figured for 58k as well as a good price, about 10% off. The other thing I was thinking of dangling is the AMG Driver's Academy. If you get a new AMG they give you the beginner's package for free or $1795 towards a more expensive package. I was actually going to do it, but if I get a used car I wouldn't get that. Maybe use that to knock the price down a bit more.

I was thinking of starting at around 52-53k and working up. Especially since they have been telling me that I am at the top of the queue for my order for a while, meaning I can also use the fact that I know my build is close. And the fact that my build is only 53k, so it's obvious I didn't really want all that stuff (though I will take it at a discount). And I definitely am capable of buying right away with a decent downpayment too which should help grease the wheels some.

#6 ·
Update. Went there today. Car's in a great condition and since its used they let me test it. As good as I thought. Looks like the original owner got the AMG exhaust and his neighborhood society told him to sell or move. I don't understand since in Eco mode it was quiet. Maybe the idiot is like that Beiber thing who like to drag race on residential roads. But they wanted MSRP. They weren't even willing to knock off the destination charge, which was already paid for by the original owner. So, as you all can guess, I'm still in queue. Still, this whole thing was still worth it just to test drive the car.

#8 ·
They told me that they can't do the MB Certified Pre-Owned on AMGs, but they do say it went through the same inspection. I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. I got to sit in it and look around for about 10 minutes and test drive it for 15, but then again, I couldn't look at the underside and obviously could have missed something. In between purchase and selling the car back we did have a few days of (for us) bad snow that snared traffic pretty bad so for all I know the car may have beached itself on a mound of snow.

But yeah, I was a bit miffed that they wanted MSRP (with destination!) for the car. But I actually bet the car will sell, especially if they allow a dealer trade. There's going to be someone with enough money who is sick of waiting. Oh well. I've already waited this long. So it's not like I've got a burning desire to get it now.

#9 ·
Yeah, if I were you I would just wait a little longer for a new one. There's not a single shred of doubt there. With the "used" one it will always be in the back of your mind if there's anything wrong that will show up later.

Reactions: Admin
#10 ·
If you can get me the last 7 of the VIN number I can run a build sheet for you. I doubt the CLA45 is going to loose $6000 in 400 miles. Dealers are beyond sold out of them. My guess is your going to be looking at savings of less than $2000

#11 ·
Sorry, I didn't get a VIN. Once they said they wanted MSRP I said no. Like I said, I lose about $3000 worth of value just from buying a used CLA45 over a new, so even $3000 off would not be a good deal, especially a relatively suspicious 400 mile sellback. They did show me the build sheet and I crunched the numbers via Mercedes' website and the CLA45 catalog and it added up. I honestly expected that I would not end up buying the car but it was worth a look at, and worth being able to test drive the CLA45.

On a sidenote Blownaway, are dealers willing to trade for any CLA45's they may have in the showroom. When they first were arriving I would see a few on Edmunds and such but our dealer here said that they wouldn't do trades for them. Granted, I never did contact the dealers that had the cars themselves because they weren't ones I wanted anyways, but I wanted to know in advance in case there was one that did show up somewhere that I wanted.

#12 ·
I do not know of any available CLA45s. the cars that show online are autofed from the dealers management system and most if not all of them are already sold prior to them arriving. The dealers stock them in and then they show available until the new owners process the paperwork.

#13 ·
Yeah, my dealer told me they are having 2 delivered but they're both spoken for.

#14 ·
Well, might as well keep on waiting. I'm at the top of the wait list here, but then I found there's still a "in queue" above that (like being on deck) before they allocate the car. The guy in front of me has an allocation ETA of around May, so who knows, maybe fall for me. Oh well. It's not like I have a need for a new car. It helps to be quite patient. I can't imagine it's going to help now that the CLA250 4Matic production is in full gear now too.

#17 ·
I'm sure you can get quite a mark up for the car. There's always someone who can't wait.
These cars are going to be hot for while, becuase of the tuning potential. You start seeing 4-500 HP versions running around and the resale is going to go through the roof.
Do a lot of your buyers plan on modding the car? AMGs never struck me as the type of cars for modders, but then again the CLA45 is more of a "step-up" for a boy racer who has finally learned that they can't drive up to a nice restaurant in a blue Evo making a racket with a 3 foot spoiler on the back. I've seen someone do a CLA45 grey in this really garish red mascara, hideous body kit, and an ugly bolted on spoiler that looks like something you'd find on a Dollar Tree 25 cent toy car. So I guess the boy racer didn't care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.