• 4Matic

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I was wondering now that the CLA 4Matic has been revealed and to cost only about 3k more. Who is planning to buy the standard FWD model and who is planning to get the 4matic?

·
Registered
43 Posts
For $3000 more I don't see why anyone would not buy the 4matic mercedes CLA. It won't make much of a difference in monthly payments so .....$3000 more and you have a far better driving experience!

·
Registered
54 Posts
For that price I might as well just go ahead and get the 4matic. If you spread that cost over the years of the term thats peanuts just to have a four wheel drive. But will the maintenance cost be anymore on a four wheel drive then a front wheel drive or is this not significant?

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
$3000 extra for the AWD is really nothing considering what kind of vehicle it is "Mercedes". The only thing I would be worried about is the maintenance fees to come later. How much extra compared to regular cost are we talking about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've only owned front wheel drive cars before and I don't see why front wheel drive is hated on so much on forums I've been on. I plan to take both the FWD and 4Matic a test drive and make up my mind then. In the end I will most like get 4matic. They are much easier to drive in Toronto's snowy weather.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
FWD can be great. I had a Peugeot 405 for years and it was the fastest thing on a compact snow highway on its 4 snow tires. I lived in the Interior of British Columbia when I had that car. Beautiful balance, neutral handling, gentle lift-off oversteer on demand. Yup, FWD is just fine.

I would consider a 4MATIC too, but not if the fuel consumption penalty was significant.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FWD can be great. I had a Peugeot 405 for years and it was the fastest thing on a compact snow highway on its 4 snow tires. I lived in the Interior of British Columbia when I had that car. Beautiful balance, neutral handling, gentle lift-off oversteer on demand. Yup, FWD is just fine.

I would consider a 4MATIC too, but not if the fuel consumption penalty was significant.
Thats the only thing that draws me back when considering the 4matic CLA. I remember test driving the C class 4matic and i was impress with the handling but the cost was out of my price range at the time. But now with this new segment the CLA 4matic can be had at only an additional $3,000 to the base cost.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Definitely go with the 4 Matic. Everytime it starts to snow here. It's always a 4Matic that zooms by while everyone grandma's it.

Not hating on FWDs. They have always been reliable to me.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
The 4matic will likely have lower mileage as well as more drivetrain power loss. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if the FWD was faster.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I am going for the 4Matic. I don't exactly need it but for a few thousand more why not? Is it not worth having the more premium car for the small premium?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I don't know how 4MATIC makes it "more premium". It costs more. That is all.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
He drives a CLS63 :D

That few thousand is chump change to him.

Well if price wasn't a concern (example if both were the same price)

I'd get the 4Matic. It helps in bad weather.

Does it snow much on Vancouver island? Which part of the island are you at?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
South of Nanaimo, we haven't had any snow for 2 years. Disappointing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm getting the FWD. I live in Germany where it snows a lot and I even then I don't think AWD is necessary. On bad snow days, the roads are plowed and salted, so it's not like I've ever needed all-wheel traction. I prefer saving the $3000, saving gas mileage and saving long term maintenance costs. The extra monry could be used for a nice set of summer or winter wheels and the rest into investments.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
We get about 20-30 days per year with salt brine here despite not having snow, the bastards.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm getting the FWD. I live in Germany where it snows a lot and I even then I don't think AWD is necessary. On bad snow days, the roads are plowed and salted, so it's not like I've ever needed all-wheel traction. I prefer saving the $3000, saving gas mileage and saving long term maintenance costs. The extra monry could be used for a nice set of summer or winter wheels and the rest into investments.
Which vehicles have you had in the past where it was fwd? Just trying to gather some advice and figure out whether i should get the Mercedes CLA 250 in fwd or 4matic awd. I wouldn't mind saving that 3000$ but if its gonna help me with safety during those harsh snow conditions then why not.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
South of Nanaimo, we haven't had any snow for 2 years. Disappointing.
Victoria is a nice place to live. I've considered retiring there.

I use to go salmon fishing up by port alberni. That roads over there are great fun for driving in the mountains - dangerous - but fun.

·
Registered
945 Posts
4matic for sure. Even though FWD will help make the CLA more fuel efficient, I just can't imagine buying a Mercedes and have it be FWD.

RWD is what I want but in this case since it's not available, AWD it is!

Apparently the AWD system will feel RWD biased, so maybe it will be like what I originally wanted.... hmmm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts