Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.. help me out here!

I'm really not sure if I should make the jump from an Acura to a Mercedes, let alone to the CLA. Please help me figure out if I should. I'm very analytical, so I need to prove to myself (and it drives my wife BATTY) that this is truly the right choice for me.

Give me the reasons you guys think I should get a CLA.

I'll tell you the reasons I've come up with so far:

PRO:

It's a Mercedes, which means it's super reliable.

I'd get the comfort suspension which will be an amazing ride.

There's a ton of aftermarket wheel upgrades

I can get the 250 for $30k which is really amazing given the price range I've seen on other Mercedes

CONS:

High repair price in the future?
Harder to find a mechanic?
More "stratch attraction"

Thoughts?? Help me!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Buying a mercedes brand you there's not much to worry about as warranty takes care of you, after the 4-5 year mark, thats where they are known to go downhill but the CLA is totally new to the brand and unlike anything else they've ever built. Seeing how much more simple it is from other MB vehicles I wouldn't worry.

BTW consider upgrading to 4matic for $3k more, it's worth it!

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
CONS:

Your right about the cons although the price of the CLA is low to start you might break even later once you have spend on the maintenance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying a mercedes brand you there's not much to worry about as warranty takes care of you, after the 4-5 year mark, thats where they are known to go downhill but the CLA is totally new to the brand and unlike anything else they've ever built. Seeing how much more simple it is from other MB vehicles I wouldn't worry.

BTW consider upgrading to 4matic for $3k more, it's worth it!
What do I get for going with the 4matic?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right about the cons although the price of the CLA is low to start you might break even later once you have spend on the maintenance.
How long would you hold on to the CLA then? Should I be leasing??

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'd say lease. How much mileage are you doing? That really determines it...

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
There is NO rational reason for buying a Merc. If you want to be rational get a Lex or Accura. If you want the emotional satisfaction of driving what most of us consider a better car, get a Bimmer, Merc, or maybe, Audi.

Reactions: Administrator

·
Registered
507 Posts
Acura has about 58,500 miles on it. So, maybe 8000-10000 miles a year?
I'd totally go for the lease then.

I've always used the philosophy, low mileage, flip cars often.

One thing that I would hesitate on (and I won't with the CLA, but food for thought) is first year of a model. Years ago I owned a BMW and i got a 330XI first production year. HUGE LEMON. I was very happy I leased it... but it made me very angry every day. :mad: They flew in a tech from Germany to fix it multiple times.. and then to stop it from stalling (yes, STALLING), they ended up upping my idle rpm's. So, I burned more gas because htey couldn't fix it.

Don't worry, the CLA won't do that to you. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is NO rational reason for buying a Merc. If you want to be rational get a Lex or Accura. If you want the emotional satisfaction of driving what most of us consider a better car, get a Bimmer, Merc, or maybe, Audi.
I've considered Lexus. I've never been an Audi fan. I find them overpriced for what you get.

BMW, I could do. But this car appeals to me. I think it's the photos of it that show it with such sexy lines. I am huge about a car with sexy lines..

What do you drive vracer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd totally go for the lease then.

I've always used the philosophy, low mileage, flip cars often.

One thing that I would hesitate on (and I won't with the CLA, but food for thought) is first year of a model. Years ago I owned a BMW and i got a 330XI first production year. HUGE LEMON. I was very happy I leased it... but it made me very angry every day. :mad: They flew in a tech from Germany to fix it multiple times.. and then to stop it from stalling (yes, STALLING), they ended up upping my idle rpm's. So, I burned more gas because htey couldn't fix it.

Don't worry, the CLA won't do that to you. :)
Yeah, I can see why leasing this would work then. Mercedes doing any decent APR on these?

That sucks about the BMW. What did you finally end up doing with it? What color was it?

I test drove a 335 recently and it was AMAZING. Unfortunately priced out it comes to way more than the CLA, and I didn't really think it was worth the extra dough.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've considered Lexus. I've never been an Audi fan. I find them overpriced for what you get.

BMW, I could do. But this car appeals to me. I think it's the photos of it that show it with such sexy lines. I am huge about a car with sexy lines..

You mean this (attached) Hawt

Attachments

Reactions: Administrator

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, I can see why leasing this would work then. Mercedes doing any decent APR on these?

That sucks about the BMW. What did you finally end up doing with it? What color was it?

I test drove a 335 recently and it was AMAZING. Unfortunately priced out it comes to way more than the CLA, and I didn't really think it was worth the extra dough.
Was a Black 330XI. Had everything on it. I ended up returning it early and getting out of it, and got into a Honda Accord for a while. Don't ask. Wife had it and didn't like it, so I took it over.

Less power but a super simple car.

I wouldn't compare the 335 to the CLA, at all. Two totally different cars. Given my experience, steer clear of BMW!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok guys.. help me out here!

I'm really not sure if I should make the jump from an Acura to a Mercedes, let alone to the CLA. Please help me figure out if I should. I'm very analytical, so I need to prove to myself (and it drives my wife BATTY) that this is truly the right choice for me.

Give me the reasons you guys think I should get a CLA.

I'll tell you the reasons I've come up with so far:

PRO:

I can get the 250 for $30k which is really amazing given the price range I've seen on other Mercedes

CONS:

Thoughts?? Help me!

Same thoughts here Benz.

My ford costs me very little and the dealer I deal with (plantation ford) is great. I've never had problems and they have always taken great care of me. On the flip side, I have friends with older SUV Mercedes that have nothing but problems. One had his cluster entirely die, the other had exhaust problems (smell in the car). They were older cars, but low mileage.

Are we all trusting of the reliability of the CLA?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
mercedes is reliable? this is new news.

have we figured out if we can even get the comfort suspension? I remember reading the sport was standard? or am i drunk?

unfortunately the same applies to virtually any car

that could also be sort of a bad thing as this is the "cheap" mercedes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
CONS:

Thoughts?? Help me!

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Do you plan to own the CLA for 5 to 10 years? If so, than you probably do have a point about future repair expenses.

Personally, I will probably own for less than 5 years until I trade it in to buy something else. I don't think you should have any problems if you maintain well enough.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you plan to own the CLA for 5 to 10 years? If so, than you probably do have a point about future repair expenses.

Personally, I will probably own for less than 5 years until I trade it in to buy something else. I don't think you should have any problems if you maintain well enough.
Given how new of a car model it is and that it's lower end, you definitely want to lease.. and not keep it past the 3 year point. Just in case!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I have 20 years of driving race cars behind me. All cars are compromises. Bimmer Ms & AMG lean toward being race cars, but for some people they don't go far enough; for others, they go too far.

I bought an '04 M3 that my wife refused to ride in because of the stiff ride. After a year, I agreed with her that it was too much for a street car and went on a hunt. I tried that year's AMG coupe; that was at least as stiff as the M3. I tried other cars and ended up with an '06 Lex is350. It was a very quick car, and for one year, I went around telling friends that Lex had built a better BMW. Then the local BMW dealer advertised a used AMG SL (Whatever the small one is). I found that one to be too much a 'wannabe' race car, but the 335 was just hitting the lot. I tested one, and found like Goldie Locks, that it was not too soft, not too stiff, just right. (Lex did not build a better BMW.) The car does get a bit 'floatie' when pushed hard, but it is not a track car for me. I had Mr. Dinan up the hp and torque to 400/400, and I have the only street car that I have kept anywhere near 5 years.

It is not a rational decision to give up the Bimmer, but I am susceptible to 'new car itch'. I have a 'pre-order' deposit on a CLA45. If they have pushed that too far into the 'wannabe' race car ranks, I will happily keep the Bimmer.

Reactions: BODHI85 and CLAJoe
1 - 20 of 32 Posts