Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Why the whistling noise during this CLA 45 AMG test run? (and why the test run?)

11K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
The first question that has to be asked is, "why is mercedes-Benz still testing cars that are already on sale?" This question is raised because of the continued testing of the Mercedes-Benz 45 AMG.

The second question is, "what is that whistling noise that the car makes when it passes by the camera?" It sounds like it could be the exhaust, or the spinning turbocharger. The working theory right now is that the exhaust was modified by Mercedes to stop its competitors from listening to figure out what the maximum RPMs and transmission shift points are.

Regardless of the answer to the whistling question, we still have no clues about why MB is testing the car still.

Any ideas on either front?

#2 ·
I cannot help you with your first question but as for the second someone commented on the video
they say "it is a whistle pipe
its a piece welded in to hide the engine revs and turb sound from snoops like BMW ect.
just by sound they can tell max r's and shift points plus when the turb spools in and out.
I was afraid benz would do it and they did
just audio disguise no worries"

#6 ·
Honestly I did not know if the whistle pipe untill I encountered that video and the comment
I hope the cla black comes out the main question which everyone is asking is how much more power can you get out of that tiny engine without compromising engine life too much
personally I think they should use a similar concept but in a v6 for the black series
if they want to stay in the smaller engines
but I also personally think amg should switch to a non gasoline engine but its obviously impractical

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.