Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not especially. Merc has created an entirely new niche here, and it had an opportunity to build a car that really stood out. Something to get excited about. But it doesn't look good enough, or drive well enough, for that. It might be a baby CLS in theory, but it's not a baby CLS in practice.

- Top Gear
Anyone agree with what TopGear had to say about the CLA in the quoted text above?

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I think it looks good enough. Top Gear has subjective styling preferences.

I'd say compared to the Audi and BMW it is a good looking car.

In terms of how it drives.. Well compared to what?

Compared to the BMW and Audi? Well we will have to wait for the reviews.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think Top Gear may have readjust the expectations a bit and remember that they are dealing with a 30k luxury car. I think they've spent far too much time reviewing supercars. I think the CLA looks pretty good for the price.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It looks better than most similarly sized cars. The driving is probably quite OK too. It's not a miraculous car however, it can't be, at that price.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Yep. People need to complain so they will find things to complain about. The other cars in the category are nowhere near perfect either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Top Gear reviewed the euro only 220 CDI, which has a weaker engine than the US CLA 250. There's a big difference between 168 horsepower and 208 horsepower.

I'm certain that if they reviewed the CLA 250, the review would have been positive.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think Top Gear may have readjust the expectations a bit and remember that they are dealing with a 30k luxury car. I think they've spent far too much time reviewing supercars. I think the CLA looks pretty good for the price.
That was my initial thought when I was reading the review. Sounds like they are expecting a whole lot out of this $30,000 entry level luxury. Of course the CLA can't compare to the CLS, not even one class under it.

They really don't like the look of it at all. But I actually love the exterior, especially the rear end of the CLA.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Top Gear reviewed the euro only 220 CDI, which has a weaker engine than the US CLA 250. There's a big difference between 168 horsepower and 208 horsepower.

I'm certain that if they reviewed the CLA 250, the review would have been positive.
that is true - never noticed that. Many of the non american reviews are of the CDI models.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The 4 cyl CDI engines are very rough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pretty much all criticisms on this article regarding the engine can be ignored by us in North America. Criticizing the exterior is more personal preference. I like it, so it doesn't really bother me.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
so basically we cant take Topgears word for it yet because its not the same as the CLA 250. Looks are pretty much personal reference unless its really ugly. I personally think the CLA is sexy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find that Top Gear (UK) is the best of the two TG programs. However, their criticism or praise is usually very subjective and to their own personal tastes, without fail. I enjoy the show for other reasons, though.
The CLA, to us, is a great design. I believe that any issues seen in MY14 will be addressed and corrected, but a few owners I've spoken with have reported practically nothing wrong, except for one person who experienced an insignificant electronic glitch which was corrected by the dealer. Usually, anyone's first year model in today's world, has more issues than an occasional electronic glitch. A friend has a '13 Passat SEL and has had a lot of computer issues from the GPS to weirdness when using Bluetooth for the phone and shutting off the engine when hanging up the phone with the steering wheel controls. And, our choice, if we were to get a Passat TDI, has more issues with the turbo failing and sometimes taking the engine with it.
And, I've heard of US and Asian mfgrs with major issues for newer models. So, while the occasional glitch can be seen on some Benz models, with the rare lemon, they have far fewer problems than most mfgrs.

As always... YMMV.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree it is NOT a baby CLS. It's a sedan version of the A-class hatchback (it also has some B-class in it). The car's looks are somewhat polarizing in my eyes. I like it, but I can see why some would not. I also think, if your benchmark is the CLS, then the CLA drives like a Yugo in comparison. But for an entry level luxury I think it does fine in that regard.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
They're trying to compare the CLA to the CLS which is not fair at all. Using a CLS as a bench mark for a car that costs much less is crazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the top gear not in performance but the interior. The screen should be inside the console not outside on top of the dashboard unless you can disconnect it but you cant. I don't know why they change the interior for the radio. That is why I would not buy the CLA 45AMG.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree with the top gear not in performance but the interior. The screen should be inside the console not outside on top of the dashboard unless you can disconnect it but you cant. I don't know why they change the interior for the radio. That is why I would not buy the CLA 45AMG.
I like the screen on top. I'm not an Apple fan, but it obviously was designed with the iPad in mind. I like the screen size, and I don't like the other cars that have a screen its size embedded since they bulk up the dash. I like the old sleeker dashes from the old days before displays, and this one does a decent job of keeping that while having a good sized screen. I do wish it was a touchscreen though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts