Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone usually have any rituals or tasks to do before winter hits?

I know some of us are getting our CLAs just now and winter is RIGHT around the corner or maybe has started already.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Really the main thing I do is wash the car more. The reason being is if I end up driving on salted roads, once the salt is gone I go immediately to an automated car wash so I can get the salt off the body and underbody. The only problem with that is I would not want rollers on my CLA and the only ones I know that do underbody sprays are ones with rollers.

If I had a jack (a real one, not the one you use to change a tire by the highway) I'd do the underbody myself.

Then again, I really don't plan on driving my car if it snows. Or rains for that matter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm having winter tires installed.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'll probably just park it and have it covered on snowy and slushy days as the 18" wheels come with summer tires. I'll slap on winter tires on my other car as I've been doing for years and use that until spring comes around. I'll still drive the CLA in the winter with no snow or slush in sight.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you got your car tonyride. congrats.

as for the car wash.

i've seen some car washes that are rail less and touchless that have an underbody wash.

or you could go to a coin operated wash and spray down the underside yourself. just aim from the ground pointing up.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ehh give it a try. I can usually do it without getting wet. The pressure washer wand is longer enough so that any splashed water won't hit you.

At least for me. And I find its more thorough than those underbody washes.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Ehh give it a try. I can usually do it without getting wet. The pressure washer wand is longer enough so that any splashed water won't hit you.

At least for me. And I find its more thorough than those underbody washes.
If you're using a pressure washer make sure you don't use too much pressure... just enough to get the water up there. You don't want the pressure of the water to break through any seals under there.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just be sure to have a set of winter tires ready for this winter. Its already prety cold so just imagine the ground temps for the tires. And it wouldn;t hurt to get a 3 months car wash membership for cleaning the underside from salt residue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I wash the under carriage of my SAAB 93 all the time. I usually use a ramp (you can get it at autozone or NAPA) and lift the front two tires. Gives me a bit more spacing from the ground floor. Also when your gonna spray from the ground make sure you clear the debris off the ground. I dont know if you guys have heard of Clear Bra (supposedly an extra layer of protection) or adding another clear coat on it (temporary) but for us who drive the car on a daily (me), just like you said before - wash, wash, wash. Lastly, try not to go to the car washes too much, they have chemicals that slowly strip the coating off the car.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep clearbras work well. there is also synthetic protection against swirls and scratches

check out that huge thread I made in general about accessories.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess I need to look around a bit more for what's around here. I've been away for quite a while and need to get a lay of the land again and see what's available around.

Edit: How different does clear bra look under different lights and car colors?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It doesn't look that different under any sort of lighting at first but after a while you can see the paint fading at a different rate. Plus once the clear bra scratches its time for a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts